Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disaster!  (Read 15569 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Disaster!
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 09:37:53 am »
Rarfy has been for a walk out round the yard this morning albeit very tentatively, the muscles around his back end and stomach are very spasmed still but we are making progress. I wondered if anyone had any idea about a natural muscle relaxant, i am massaging him which he isn't keen on but i think it does help a bit and we're keeping him warm.
Minus 5  here this morning so have been carrying buckets of hot water to thaw out the troughs, any splilt froze instantly but it is so lovely to see  :sunshine: .
Mandy :pig:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 10:23:40 am »
valerian root?  do some research first mind....

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 03:49:28 pm »
Sorry Mandy only just seen this,
 so glad he is making progress. Valium is a muscle relaxant in humans not sure what it would do to a pig.  we have given it i/v to inappetant cats in practice, amazing how it makes them eat every thing in sight!  You could always ask your vet. Don't know of a natural relaxant.

Hope he continues to improve  :fc:
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 09:47:06 pm »
Phew! I just saw this post and am so relived to find it has a happy ending.  :relief: Best wishes for a full recovery.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 02:38:20 am »
Valium is a muscle relaxant in humans not sure what it would do to a pig.  we have given it i/v to inappetant cats in practice, amazing how it makes them eat every thing in sight! 

That's called "The Munchies"  ;)  Given that valium does the opposite of tranquilise in a cat!  :D

So glad to be hearing the ever improving reports on Rarfy, Mandy  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2012, 05:40:46 pm »
Don't know about natural muscle relaxants, but i'm treating my horse for back muscle spasms at the moment. Along with massage, she is having heat treatment in the form of a hot water bottle & we are using a tens machine (only about £30) twice a day. It's time consuming but we are making great progress. You could try getting a physio/sorts massage person out to have a look?

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, 11:34:59 am »
Yeay - excellent news.  Good on ya - all down to your care and attention  :thumbsup:
t' other Mandy
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 08:42:32 pm »
Just a quick update, after DITW's suggestion of valerian i looked at OH's herbal sleeping tabs and they contian it so i crushed half a one in a banana for rarfy and it seemed to do the trick, on saturday he was almost back to normal so much so we brought his brothers back to him and he promptly decided to fight them both, i then sent nearly 2hrs keeping them from fighting, eventually they all settled in a heap in the straw along with me! :relief:
So from seeming disaster to full recovery, he can trot off to the butchers with his brothers, job done. i think i will defo cry about these 3 as they have been a real struggle to rear what with the bad weather and lack of veg. but they have had the best life i can give them and thats what counts.
Thanks for all your help and kind thoughts
mandy :pig:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 08:50:56 pm »
TOP :banana: 
Sounds like you need to sit down with a very stiff drink!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, 09:10:03 pm »

Well done Mandy so pleased to hear piggy is better  :thumbsup:
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2012, 09:12:18 pm »
eventually they all settled in a heap in the straw along with me! :relief:
[/quote
Good to hear the story did have a happy ending....
I hope it was warm with all the piggies in the heap! ;D My porkers went off this morning on their final journey and I have been really worried about them in these last few days, as the really deep mud was now frozen and they were walking very gingerly on the ice and slipping about a bit... but no disasters here. :relief:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2012, 09:56:41 pm »
That's why our pork is so good, Mandy it has been loved and cared for :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2012, 10:23:33 pm »
So glad you've had a happy ending mrs  :-*

Ditto ppd's sentiments - cared for pork is the best kind there is  :thumbsup:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 07:40:33 am »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 01:19:13 pm »
That's why our pork is so good, Mandy it has been loved and cared for :thumbsup:

Ditto  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :pig: :pig: :pig: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS