Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Butts, tops and rovings  (Read 6977 times)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Butts, tops and rovings
« on: December 31, 2012, 02:22:08 pm »
Hi,
Since joining the forum in Sept, and reading through the crafts section I find that I am becoming increasingly interested in wool and fibre, I have just ordered a drop spindle, really just to play around with, as they are so inexpensive, it doesn't really matter if I find I don't actually use it much.
Now to my question, I have seen on the forum people talking about butts, tops and rovings, I haven't a clue what any of them are, can anyone enlighten me?

Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Butts, tops and rovings
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 02:36:48 pm »

Hi Cheviot and welcome to fibreland.   Um.....it's batts not butts  :roflanim:  but I quite like the mistake  8)

Batts are what comes off a drum carder so carded fleece presented a bit like a Santa Claus beard.

Tops is a similar preparation but comes from a commercial carding machine and is presented as a long fluffy endless strip.

Roving is a thinner preparation, for example pencil roving is about the thickness of a pencil and can be spun without further drawing - sounds a bit boring  :eyelashes:   I turn my tops and batts into rovings by hand before I spin them.

All of them have the fibres running roughly parallel to eachother for worstead spinning (batts rather less then the others), but can be turned into rolags for woollen spinning....or something  ;D

'Butt' is a fibre word, as well as the obvious US meaning, and means the end of a wool staple (bundle) which was closest to the animal before shearing.  The other end is the tip.

There are so many fibre and spinning words to learn - it should keep you happy for ages  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:40:51 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:27:09 pm »
I've always called what comes off a drum carder as a rolag.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 03:47:50 pm »
Oh, I thought a rolag was the little tube you made off hand carders?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:23:21 pm »
It is jaykay, but if you tear your batt or tops into small sections then you can roll those into rolags and woollen spin them.

It looks as if there are going to be as many alternate meanings for fibre words as there are for sheep
words  ;D :sheep:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:25:02 pm by Fleecewife »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 04:59:47 pm »
I think ex and I just assumed that they were rolags whether they were big and off a drum carder or small and off hand carders.

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 05:06:41 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for replying fleecewife, as you probably guessed, I am a complete novice in the world of wool ( batts not butts ), and at the moment it all seems very confusing, I watched a video on you tube with someone spinning wool on a drop spindle, and she had what looked like a wool rope to spin with, I take it that is a roving or rolag.
I can't knit or crochet, so have never really had a great interest in what you can do with fleece, however I also ordered a peg loom and some weaving sticks, so hopefully if I ever manage to spin any wool I will be able to use it, to hopefully make something useful  :fc:. I also just spent all my Christmas money :(.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 05:12:10 pm »
Good luck, Sue but be warned.  Weaving can be very addictive.   ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 06:08:20 pm »
Hi Sue.  You won't need to spin the fleece for using your peg loom as you can draw it as you go.  This will also help you to learn how to draw fleece for spinning.  It will be a much chunkier end result for the pegloom, but you will start to understand the way fleece and fibres work.

Using a spindle - I find it easiest to make rovings before spindle spinning, then wrap the roving into a little birds nest and push my hand through it (otherwise you end up catching the roving in the spinning thread where you don't want it).

I feared spindling for years until a very kind and skilled person showed me how easy it is  :thumbsup: .  Now I often spindle in preference to using a wheel, especially if I only need a relatively small amount of yarn.

You'll love it  :love:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:20:44 pm by Fleecewife »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 06:20:49 pm »
Maybe I need showing.  I've never got the hang of it.  Just when I think I'm there the wool separates.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 11:25:29 pm »
Oh MGM that's what it's all about  ;D  but eventually you get the knack.  I hold my two hands at the same height and draw horizontally, with spun yarn hanging over a little finger, so there is less weight on the unspun part. Then I lower one hand carefully to let the twist run up.  If the drafted fibre gets too thin, or if your spindle is too heavy, then the yarn will break.  It's a great excuse to have lots of spindles of different weights  ;D 8)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 12:33:04 am »
*sighing loudly*  that's what I was taught, FW.  It must just be me.  I'm giving up now though because bending down to pick up the spindle is not easy.  Nor, come to that, is standing up for very long and if I try it sitting down, there won't be time to get going before it reaches the floor.  *sighs again*

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 02:49:37 am »
Yeh, I can see why they're called drop spindles  :P

I am very pleased I learned to draft on a spinning wheel before I tried to use a spindle - I think if I'd done it the other way around I'd have killed someone.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 11:46:59 am »
 :D   Yes, I learned on a wheel first  :thumbsup:   I think for learning with a spindle, you start with a heavy one so the yarn is thick and less likely to break.  But if children can do it..........

I do love being able to spindle spin - it's so simple and basic, using the most uncomplicated tool.

MGW - perhaps you could try the 'park and draft' method - there are Utube clips of it.  Sallyintnorth was using that method initially so maybe she can summarise...... I do sympathise with the effects of ill health you are suffering.  Not being able to do things you have been doing for much of your life takes a whole lot of readjustment.  I'm at that stage too, but always hoping that things will go back to normal (which realistically they won't, for me  :( ).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:49:19 am by Fleecewife »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 02:38:16 pm »
Just wrote a pile about Guilds, supported spindles, park and draft, and plying over chasms, and lost the lot  :(

I'll do it again later if and when my stupid cursor decides to stop being stupid. :rant:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS