Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this all down to slugs?  (Read 6598 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Is this all down to slugs?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 08:11:39 am »
Thank Northfife - really good advice. We've got loads of plastic 2 litre bottles that I've been saving for some purpose so I will put those on.

I have planted some more little gem lettuce seedlings in seedling trays in the poly tunnel so I will wait until they get to six leave before planting them out.

No damage last night :-)

Now have noticed a couple of wood pigeons in the vicinity the last couple of days so might get netting for the peas and beans :-(
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 12:05:15 pm »
We're slowly meshing everything this year - keeps off the cabbage whites/pigeons & the naughty chucks  (they were very naughty last year ;) ) shame it won't keep the blackfly or slugs away too   ::)

Problem trying to keep the balance right - protecting the veg & fruit, whilst allowing the natural predators in  ???
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 04:56:06 pm »
Bee, I invested in some mesh tunnels a few years ago and would be lost without them now, a grand invention!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 05:48:44 pm »
was looking at some today. Unfortunately our current veg patch is on quite a slope but the new one we've got planned is much flatter - then I'm going to get big net cages
 :D :D :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 07:51:41 pm »
They will work on slopes too!!!!!!!!!

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 05:51:02 am »
I answered on the other thread, but I feel the leaves are still too green for cutworms.  Have a careful dig around and see if you can find any - then let us know
Go    out at  night with a torch and you will see what is going on in your vegi patches

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS