Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bit of a fatty  (Read 2087 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Bit of a fatty
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:35:59 pm »
One of my 3 has a lopsided fat tum - they have been out for 3 days, should I be worried about bloat?  the tum is high and sticking out and the other side is lower down! She seems fine, just gobbling everything she sees - and feeding 2 kids too, so needs it I suppose.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Bit of a fatty
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 05:51:46 pm »
My big billy comes in at night looking like that.  Once they lie down, stop eating, and chew the cud, it gradually goes down.  If they gorge too much rich grass, it can cause wind, and their bellies go big and rock hard.  When this happens, I rub the big bulge until they burp (sorry!) bringing the wind up. Its like trapped wind - once thats done, they are much better!!  Unless your goat looks uncomfortable, she should be ok.  I do try and bring mine off the grass during the day a bit, to try and stop them eating too much.  It can be very rich and green.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:21:44 pm »
Funny that i was looking at my BT and thought you almost look pregnant!, as she was coming in today!
But she just lies down and chews her cud after a few hours outside. I try and make sure they don't go out before 10 am, its usually more 11 before I get them out and they are back in by 4.30 anyway. But yes the grass  is very green at the moment....

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:20:57 pm »
Its their rumen that bulges like that. When they have been eating lots and lots of fibre- grass/branches/hay then they look like that. If you have a goat that goes off its food for a few days, they can suddenly look really skinny, but it can just be because their rumen is totally empty.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:24:04 pm »
Paddy the billy came in tonight, and he looked enormous.  Obviously pigged out on the grass.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS