Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mating question  (Read 4460 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Mating question
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:41:03 pm »
Yesterday, Pom was definitely in season so I took her to visit my friend's billy. As soon as she saw him she went mad and ran towards him eagerly. So far so good. She then seemed to take a dislike to him and ran away. I called her back and they were both shut in a pen where he was very keen but she didn't seem to be, however mating did take place. Today she is shouting the place down.

I assume this means that she is not pregnant or does this happen sometimes? I've not experienced it before.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Mating question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 02:19:33 am »
We have 1 here that shouts and tail wags on day 1 but she is not actually ready for the Billy until the next day. she is the only one that is in season more than the one day.

Graham

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:43:44 am »
They don't stop immediately after mating. I have had goats that shouted for more than a day, were mated on day one and were in-kid afterwards.

My goats at home go back to my own billy a couple of times over one day to be sure - if they stand they are fine.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:06:43 pm »
She didn't want to stand but was held. She'd actually started bleating the previous evening so had been in season for about 20 hours. She was still bleating today though, two days after mating. I suppose it's just a case of wait and see.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 02:38:16 pm »
We have a BT here that is being a pain. She isn't getting put in kid this year but she was in season. Jumped out of her pen and went to visit the Billy's. Thankfully they where penned up. Next day she had finished
6 days later she was back in season and doing the same
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 10:10:43 pm »
The trouble with having her mated this late in the year is that I can't be sure she would come into season next month in any case. If she doesn't, I'll just have to wait until June to see if her udder starts to fill.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 10:54:48 pm »
Well, she hasn't come into season so far (due on Tuesday) but it is the end of the season for seasons. How will I know if she is pregnant? She already has an udder so that won't help.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 06:29:48 am »
I think you won't.... unless she comes back into season (my kids and the one running through still came in a couple of weeks ago), you probably just have to wait.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 12:49:54 pm »
My two milking through have  been in season very noisily yesterday and today.
The two that should be pregnant haven't but aren't looking pregnant either.
Time will tell.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 05:01:46 pm »
I know it doesn't really help by Rosie came into  season yesterday so they certainly can this late in the year but every goat is different I guess. Fingers crossed. :fc:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 05:33:35 pm »
I certainly wouldn't plan a holiday away around the possible due date... :-\

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 07:58:18 pm »
Do all goats definitely stop cycling spring/summer? I have a couple of young pedigree boer does who I don't want to breed from until autumn but it would be easier to be able to run my billy with everyone over the summer. Will he bring them in all year?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 09:09:48 pm »
Difficult to say, I had a goat in season at the breed show in June last year.... with a number of quite excited boys hanging around it does happen... (It is a male and female show).

I would run an entire male with a couple of wethers over the summer, and only introduce once you don't mind the girls being mated.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 10:44:27 pm »
maybe the sheep scanner would just scan her for you when they're passing? Your vet may be able to but generally aren't as practiced as sheep scanners.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 11:09:26 pm »
A bit tricky as all boys are in the freezer and kids so far all girls! I should be getting a doe back who will kid in summer so I will just run him with her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS