Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: own a lamb scheme  (Read 1776 times)

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
own a lamb scheme
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:26:27 am »
I am thinking of starting an adopt a lamb scheme where people pay a set fee to adopt one and then a few Months later get the meat from their lamb at so much per kg minus what they have already paid. I think I will have more interest then lambs but what I am wondering is what to charge to start a d how much per kg. Does anybody already do this please? Thanks

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: own a lamb scheme
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:44:22 am »
I good idea IMO  :thumbsup:
But when I suggested it to some of my customers they got very squeamish about knowing 'their' lamb.  They seem happy to visit the lambs in Spring, watch them in a flock all Summer, then allow the anonymity to kick in and buy their meat in November. 
Re prices.  I think you have to know what your market will stand.  There is so much excellent local meat available in this area that I cannot get the price  I would like (or feel it deserves).  So I settle for about £7 a kg when sold as a half lamb. 
It is the same with the sheep skins - I cannot compete with the company that sends all their skins to Poland for processing and then sells at the local show >:( .  If I just looked at the economics of it, I would certainly give up.

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:59:32 am »
I usually sell my meat for about £7 kg. For the few I've sent off I've the last couple of years. Thanks

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:25:14 am »
 :thumbsup: I like the idea.  I would adopt one of yours as you are within reasonable travelling distance to pick up the meat at the end.

Pm'd you
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:16:07 am »

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 11:22:39 am »
it did this with pigs, worked really well, just make sure you are making a profit and not under selling. probably easier with sheep than pigs profit-wise, though not as hands on.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 06:20:10 pm »
I was also thinking about doing this with piglets, so would be interested to here more experiences.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS