Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New chicks  (Read 1421 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
New chicks
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:35:21 pm »
After last week when only 3 out of 6 eggs hatched under my broody hen I was rather worried what would happen with the other broody. Tonight she has 6 lovely little chicks and all looking well. The other hen was also sitting on 6 eggs and when i checked the ones that did not hatch there were chicks in them which had died about a week before due date. i can only think the cold weather had something to do with it.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: New chicks
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:44:48 pm »
Depends on the origin of the eggs Sabrina as to why they died in the shell. The humidity may have been too high as its been wet, so the air sac didn't form. There may be a nutritional deficiency in the parents, the sac may have ruptured in postal transit. The temperature would have to be low for a long time to kill them in the egg.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 07:55:07 pm »
I think the cold and humidity will have affected them. Glad you have got 6 chicks though  ;D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 11:25:05 pm »
This weather is causing havoc with everything  :-\

Good news that some hatched for mum  :thumbsup:
Great result with full house for new mum,  let's hope your other girly has a good hatch  :fc:

pic vies so I can be jealous  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS