Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: emergencie fox has appeared  (Read 13598 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: emergencie fox has appeared
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 12:42:03 am »
There was a progamme on tv some time ago, repeated after that baby was bitten in its cot, where it showed a licenced pest controller shoot a pair of foxes in someones garden. homeowner had to put food out for a week(?) to give it confidence.
Maybe try your local council for advice? (suggest that it is very bold and you think it may become dangerous?) maybe they would at least suggest someone who deals with these situations?
It would be better shot than some fool catch it and let it loose in the country (my poor girls were victims of such an event)

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 01:11:18 am »
I feel for you but humans caused all this in the first place if you want to keep hens or any poultry have proper runs and enclosers its not there fault its our greed to take over the country side and yes I have lost loads of poultry to Fox's its a risk we take

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 02:03:12 am »
I'm not sure you would be allowed to use a firearm in an urban location even with a certificate. Isn't there a rule about distance to highways etc? Plus you can bet your arm that someone is going to spot the shooter and the house will surrounded and stormed in seconds.

You need to be further than 50' from the centre of a highway. Any closer than that and as long as you aren't inconveniencing/frightening road users, then there's no problem. A moderated rimfire is very quiet anyway but I take your point if someone saw it and overreacted but from inside a darkened room, quite how they would without night vision, I don't know

I reckon they would have a good go. I guess there may be licenced pest controllers who would be able to use a silenced .22 with sub-sonic and he/ she would let the feds know beforehand? Not sure how it works in towns. Out here we get to know our fox and unless he causes problems we think it's better the devil you know.......

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 04:53:32 pm »
I now have an air pistol its not got the power to kill just like  a bee sting iv shot my self twice just to be sure besides a bruse it hasn't done any damage its for shooting cans its an old old Webley no gas just cocking lloader simaler power to a cheap paint ball pistol if he comes back again I will use it if I have to only as a last resort though

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 06:10:19 pm »
I wouldn't advertise this plan. I'm glad you've found something that is non lethal, but I'm pretty sure causing harm to a fox in this way would be considered cruel by RSPCA if someone were to watch you from next door.

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 06:25:58 pm »
I prefer my method yo what next door offered to do which is snares and then use his 12bore so I thought my pistol will make it squeel and run away but at least they will be alive not that I want them to stay around to be trapped and choke to death that I don't agree with

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 06:32:37 pm »
iv shot my self twice just to be sure

Seriously?!?  :o
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 06:35:40 pm »
Yes lol only in the leg

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 06:41:18 pm »
Oh, that's ok then  ::) .  Just a good job you didn't get a rimfire I suppose  :relief: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 10:42:01 pm »
Sorry for being dense - but why can't you keep your hens safe instead of inflicting pain on another animal?  A swift death I can agree with if it is a fox as they show no mercy to birds, but not to hurt them, even if it is just a 'bee sting'
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 11:24:23 pm »
I prefer my method yo what next door offered to do which is snares and then use his 12bore so I thought my pistol will make it squeel and run away but at least they will be alive not that I want them to stay around to be trapped and choke to death that I don't agree with

Foxes are on general licence as vermin and cam be killed quite legally but there are many conditions that have to be met .
 Your on dodgy ground posting what you may do with an air pistol & a fox.

Modern legal snares have stops on them so they don't choke the fox to death .you also have to check a set number of times a day .

Not every one is allowed to despatch the snared animal , the captured fox is to despatched with a licenced  drug injection , rifle or shotgun deemed suitable for the purpose by a licenced person .
lt is not supposed to be freed  , if it's caught is to be terminated , same with cage trapped foxes .

I think you'll find that this is also the RSPCA approved method of things.
If your a licenced shot gun or firearm owner with the approved device you may shoot a free running fox but not a captured fox .

God help if you're caught or reported for despatching one that has been already caught unless you have the pest control element on your licence & your registered with  local authority for such purposes.

Yes a licenced pest controller with an FAC can do many things that are not allowed by the wider shooting fraternity . They will also be in regular contact in person and by phone with the local police forces where they intend to operate giving times of start and finishing +   vehicle details etc.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 11:39:25 pm »
Also at the risk of sounding dense, if you're close enough to hit it with an air rifle, are you not close enough to open the window and yell at it? Still better to chase after it? Surely that would be just as effective as a bee sting type scare (not to mention all the concerns of firearms). Agree with all the others - just protect the hens. We regularly see foxes around our land but, touch wood, we've not yet lost a bird to them. They're all behind fencing that is dug down 2ft, bending out at the bottom, and goes up 7ft, overhanging at the top. Not to say they'll never get in - the cats can - but if you make it hard enough, they'll go elsewhere for food unless desperate.

H

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 01:25:17 am »
I have secured the pen but the fox still hot in last night so yes I did use the pistol but I shot the chicken house instead of aiming for the fox as I left the gate open when I walked in it ran past me but managed to kick it up the back end so if it comes back I will be forced to use the legal method as cloddopper said is legal so legal snares and my mate next door who is licenced with a shot gun to deal with it but that's only if it comes back my hens are in a wooden house with mesh stapled all around with a dead bolt on the door but I have seen it trying to get in I have 13 in the house so if I lose one I will have no choice  so if anyone has any ways to repelling foxes please let me know I don't want to kill it but will if I have to thanks for everyone's advice so far

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 01:43:47 am »
There used to be a repellant you could spray round, not sure if it's still available but we thought it smelled like Jeyes fluid disinfectant - try spraying that round?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 09:44:21 am »
Devonfarmer, part of me is hoping this is all a big wind up but I suspect its not.

I don't want to come come over all controversial but I think you REALLY need to step back and think about this!

Can I repeat what I said in my earlier post…

"If you get caught illegally poisoning or shooting a fox with an air rifle there will be serious repercussions!"

We live in a country which now has a serious attitude to firearms and gun use!

if you are found to be illegally harming animals with one, do you have any idea how deep in the smelly stuff that could put you?

Shooting at an animal with a calibre or power which is likely only to injure rather than kill it is a BIG no no.

Aiming wide to scare them will be no defence.

Shooting yourself with an air rifle is at the very least a bit dim.

Publicising all of the above on a public forum, even more so!

p.s.

I have secured the pen but the fox still hot in last night

If the fox got in, then you DIDN'T secure then pen!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:47:04 am by Clansman »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS