Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Midge repellant  (Read 685 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Midge repellant
« on: April 29, 2024, 11:27:10 pm »
With the possibility of Bluetongue hanging over us, I'm looking at making my own midge repellant using essential oils. Midges apparently dislike the smell of lavender, lemongrass, teatree oil and peppermint to name but a few! I was going to mix a few drops of these oils in water and use it as a spray. Just wondered if these oils are ok to use on sheep or if anyone had any other suggestions for a midge repellant? Thank you
4 pet sheep

Bishybarneybee

• Joined Apr 2022
Re: Midge repellant
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 07:41:37 am »
I made up my own repellent last year for my ewes to use until they were sheared. I also used it on the lambs.

The mix of essential oils I used were 60% Citronella, 20% lavender and 20% peppermint in a spray bottle topped up with water and shaken well before use.

It seemed to work OK and I didn't have any problems. Once they got used to it the sheep were quite happy with it too.

I'm planning to do the same this year and also use a garlic lick bucket to help repel the midges.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 03:05:10 pm »
All are slightly repellant I think, but the effect seems to wear off quickly, and they shouldn't be used daily on animals which self-groom or mutually groom.  (Which means okay for sheep on a daily basis?) 

I wear a citronella pendant when milking, and once weaned, we put a coconut oil and tea tree salve on the udder after milking, to keep flies at bay for half an hour (while the teat entrances are open.)  These things help but are not 100%.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 07:37:28 pm »
Thank you Sally for the reply.
Thank you Bishybarneybee, I'll give your recipe a try! 😊
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS