Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2023/4 Flockdown - how likely ?  (Read 3266 times)

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
2023/4 Flockdown - how likely ?
« on: November 28, 2023, 12:31:06 pm »
IS it me or does there seem to be fewer notifications from the ministry this year ?
And, does that signify a faint chance that there might not be flockdown this winter ?

I know it hasn't gone away, far from it, but it might be a change in Defra approach maybe ?

I'm trying to be optimistic

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: 2023/4 Flockdown - how likely ?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 01:22:12 pm »
We didn't have one here in Scotland last year, so you could be hopeful that DEFRA has taken that onboard.  It appeared to me that the majority of cases in England were on commercial premises which should have strict biosecurity measures in place always.  I wonder what that shows?  The majority of bird deaths in Scotland were of wildfowl, probably lots of those too in England and Wales?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 04:15:03 pm »
We had a short local lockdown due to a small outbreak just a few minutes from me(Clackmannan).  Local Reserve had a lot of wild waterfowl deaths
Hopefully there won't be any next year but who knows
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 08:39:47 am »
Hardly anything reported in England, maybe 3 cases? Scotland seem to have had a few more but nothing on the scale of last year, thank goodness. However, I have a theory that while commercial premises will have certainly ramped up biosecurity to the max, I think there are probably likely to be backyard cases going unreported (by owners) in order to avoid mass culling and lockdown being imposed. No-one wants their poultry culled and I do wonder how many deaths are quietly being ignored. I see lots of requests on poultry rehoming forums saying things like  "Two of my ducks have just died, can anyone let me have a friend for the remaining one" or something similar. Now those deaths could be due to fox attack, or old age, or it's just someone trying to get a free or cheap bird, but some deaths may well be due to disease and at this time of year you cannot rule out avian flu.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS