Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apple and pear disease  (Read 3967 times)

FTOakTree

• Joined Mar 2021
Apple and pear disease
« on: June 30, 2021, 09:50:17 am »
Hi, some of my apple trees aren't happy. The leaves are curling up and some leaves dying. I've looked it up and it looks similar to rosy aphids but on inspecting the leaves i'm not seeing as yet any aphids.

Any ideas please?

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
Re: Apple and pear disease
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 09:52:07 am »
I have similar on one of my apples, so watching this with interest.

I also see that my blackcurrants have been taken over by ants farming blackfly / aphids, so they're knitting the top leaves together to form a rain shield! Amazing, if a bit annoying for the currants...

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 01:29:57 pm »
Oh no! This is the reason there are less and less pear orchards in Poland and other countries.

Good alternative is quince - fruits better, self Fertile and not many diseases that will take it.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

FTOakTree

• Joined Mar 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 12:40:51 pm »
I am fairly confident I have a Rosy apple aphid problem. How i deal with this organically I am unsure of.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 05:34:16 pm »
A quick google search 'rosy apple aphid organic control' has shown various options, the main difficulty being to reach the higher leaves to apply organic fatty acid controls, or wipe off with finger and thumb. I haven't time to delve any deeper for you, but perhaps you can follow up.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS