Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on interupted hay making  (Read 2657 times)

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
Advice on interupted hay making
« on: July 07, 2013, 08:57:52 am »
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I am making hay (by hand) and am using a small (generally shady meadow) and unfortunately I have to go away for Monday and Tuesday due to an unavoidable crisis. The hay is not yet dry and I wondered what I am best to do. Leave it in rows to minimise the dew effect or leave it spread out to get the benefit of the sun (no-one can turn it on these days) ? If I leave it in rows should I minimise the number of these to keep the surface area as low as possible, or vice versa ?

Thanks, in advance,  for any advice

Cheers

PS Haylage is probably not an option, we are a low tech very small smallholding

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Advice on interupted hay making
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 09:28:15 am »
I would leave it rowed up so the air can get through it, and there is the minimal amount in contact with the ground.  I wouldn't heap more than one windrow together though.  It will stand like that fine for a couple of days, especially if it doesn't rain.  When you get back, turn each windrow upside down into the neighbouring gap, so the ground which has been covered for the two days has a chance to dry, and the bottom hay to catch up with the rest.  Then carry on turning and spreading as normal - it won't come to any harm, so don't worry about it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 09:31:44 am »
I would leave it rowed up so the air can get through it, and there is the minimal amount in contact with the ground.  I wouldn't heap more than one windrow together though.  It will stand like that fine for a couple of days, especially if it doesn't rain.  When you get back, turn each windrow upside down into the neighbouring gap, so the ground which has been covered for the two days has a chance to dry, and the bottom hay to catch up with the rest.  Then carry on turning and spreading as normal - it won't come to any harm, so don't worry about it.

Thanks fleecewife that is useful advice and reassuring

Many thanks

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:44:48 am »
Agree pile it into windrows - the wind/breeze is as good as drying as sun. Just jealous not making any this year :'( .
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 03:36:45 pm »
Thanks for the advice, it worked, we have the hay in now and can relax a bit. I would be very happy if it would rain now, perverse blighter that I am. Only the task of baling by hand to be done now  :tired:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS