Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are you doing this month? January  (Read 15577 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: What are you doing this month? January
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 01:31:14 pm »
Beautiful goats, although I don't know anything about the breed standard. Are Bagots kept with their horns on? I always find that goats look so different if they have horns, just carrying themselves quite differently.

I am sure they will become tame, my GG girl that came to me as a kid had been raised on her dam, so was quite flighty. But now, even though she doesn't like to be caught, she can be handled and will always come for a treat.

princesspiggy

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 06:41:23 pm »
well, their markings are supposed to be a straight line behind the shoulder so these girls are far from perfect as they have patches in the wrong places but their conformation is quite neat,
im not sure how u go about improving that from a breeding perspective. will be interesting to find out tho!
they keep their horns which is lucky cos i prefer that. our old GG had a floppy horn that was wrongly dis-budding before we had her, and kept growing back, until she ripped it off in field. she was ultra tame before we had her, our other little nanny was a bit feisty but followed the GG everywhere so she wasnt a problem. glad i didnt have to milk her tho!  :D
id be happy if i could get them to come to call/bucket cos then if (ir when)  they ever escape, then i can control them a bit. they run really fast!!!!
 ;D :wave: ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 09:18:00 pm »
they're lovely...  quite dark then .

Are they really in kid that young?  when are they due?

our lad is very timid, he comes over to be talked to and have the tip of his nose tickled but wont stand any more than that....  whereas the other two demand a full body massage and nuzzle every time you go near them!  But I'm sure your girls will come to a bucket...

:)
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 09:54:27 pm »
I thought you said they were in kid too- seems very young to me as well. It might be the norm for Bagots.... I wouldn't know. They are attractive looking animals.

Beth

princesspiggy

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 01:12:01 pm »
i know it is very young, they are supposed to be due feb!! theres no hurry to get a billy, so they can have a long rest and finish growing. not ideal but i supposed different people do things differently. what age are goats normally mated? i never bred them before. is the pregnancy the same lengt of time as goats?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 06:46:03 pm »
i know it is very young, they are supposed to be due feb!! theres no hurry to get a billy, so they can have a long rest and finish growing. not ideal but i supposed different people do things differently. what age are goats normally mated? i never bred them before. is the pregnancy the same lengt of time as goats?

goats gestate for approx 155 days
commercially, some goat breeds are mated at around 8 months... it apparently prevents them growing as large overall as they might if fully matured.

with Bagots being abit more "wild" then this could be why they were mated young.  I suppose out on the mountain side, they would meet up to mate during the Autumn, kid late winter / early spring and the female kids mate much sooner.

do you know who yours were studded by? 

keep us posted on the expectant mums ... its all very exciting!  :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:29:01 pm by little blue »
Little Blue

princesspiggy

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 07:11:32 pm »
bampton bodacious is the unborn kids sire. shouldnt be too far away, at least they travelled safely, was long journey from oxfordshire to aberdeenshire!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 07:29:01 pm »
Is gestation not around 154 days? If they are due in February and are first timers they will soon develop and udder, but that could be a few weeks in advance of kidding.

robert waddell

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 07:41:39 pm »
5 days longer than sheep
if served 20 september     due 19 feb (example only)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 10:32:25 pm »
Is gestation not around 154 days? If they are due in February and are first timers they will soon develop and udder, but that could be a few weeks in advance of kidding.

doh! I've got a typing stutter ... it really says 155 days (see edit!)
Thanks Anke

Princesspiggy, If Brampton is the girl's prefix, was the sire born on the same holding? IE they're not related are they?!
 It crossed my mind when I realised how young they are, but hope Im wrong  :)

I do think theyre lovely by the way .... did I say that already?  ;)
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 11:32:44 pm »
Gestation is normally 150 days, roughly same as sheep. http://www.allgoats.com/breeding.htm#What%20is%20the%20gestation

Our "kidding book" actually agrees with this, and not only that, over 40 years, we have a 52% of females to 48% males.

Beth

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2011, 08:42:14 am »
Beth - interesting %'s - I will hopefully be due a couple of girls this year, last year 4 boys and 2 girls maybe this year the opposite!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

princesspiggy

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2011, 11:48:15 am »
officially not the same sire - we'll see..
is it possible or inexpensive to get dna test done? (crossed my mind aswell.)
i think id be happier if they werent in kid, cos im a stickler for rules (army family upbringing - lol)
they are very cute and seem happy and extremely nosy, they are fascinated with the pigs and cows and labrador.
 ;D :o ???
i was cutting some branches for them today, is there anything that you cant feed them?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 08:13:33 pm »
stuff thats poisonous, like yew.
goats love "native" stuff ... willow, beech, hawthorne,

Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 08:49:05 pm »
Ivy leaves in smallish quantities - the only green stuff around atm. Take any berries off. Also veggie peelings (not potatoes), they love bananas (peel and the inside), most fruits.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS