Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nettles  (Read 8235 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Nettles
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 04:07:21 pm »
They saying is, for thistles:

Cut in May
They'll flower another day
Cut in June
They'll be back soon
Cut in July
They'll wither and die

and I can't remember the last bit but it'll say that after July is too late, it's already seeded (and one year's seeds makes seven years' weeds, as we all know)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 01:26:55 am »
So is Grazon the same as the aminopyralid we are discussing in the compost whinge thread in the veg section? Hateful stuff.
The very stuff.  Yes, hateful. >:(

Such chemicals have their uses and their limitations.  I was strongly against use of the stuff but sometimes you need all the help you can get.   So we've used it on one of our ten paddocks, one which won't see a horse for a couple of years and is downwind of a hectare of mostly thistle, nettle and ragwort.  That one is next years problem
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 01:36:52 pm »
Yup
Cut thistles in May - they're back in a day
Cut thistles in June - they're back very soon
Cut em July - they're sure to die

Its to do with Midsummer day and the moon phase.  Basically weeds cut at or on the Full Moon nearest to Midsummer will find it very difficult to regenerate. Its' generally just before they are running up to seed, so they have used all their energy and ct then just cope.

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS