Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need some help with my chook please.  (Read 2415 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Need some help with my chook please.
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:08:53 pm »
Hi folks. Noticed today that my grey chook was looking a bit puffed up. She seemed to keep herself to herself for most of the day although I did see her eat and drink. When they went to bed, I couldn't find her so went looking. Found her in our second smaller henhouse, perching all alone. What I did notice was a funny noise coming from her like an acute rumbling tummy. Before I shut her in for the night, I put in some water and cider vinegar for her to drink. Is there anything else I could do tomorrow if she is still the same? All ideas gratefully received. Thanks.

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
Re: Need some help with my chook please.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 01:39:32 pm »
Hi NormandyMary, how's the chook today? Is it her face that's puffed up and is the noise actually from her tummy or is it her breathing?

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:52:08 pm »
Sounds like a respiratory issue, depending how bad it is you may need anti-biotics. I use RESPITE for mild problems.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:34:05 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Ive had a good look at her face today and there doesn't seem to be anything obvious. She has kept herself to herself today, but with the others and took herself off to the other henhouse again this evening to sleep, still gurgling away. She looks puffed up all over and Ive noticed that a few feathers seem to be falling out when she moves around. She did have a peck at some grain I threw out for them this afternoon, but she's definitely not all there. I don't think she's eggbound as she hasn't been trying to nest although her botty is a bit dirty. Perhaps tomorrow, Ill post a couple of pictures if that would help a diagnosis.

Thanks again for your help.

Mary.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:50:44 pm »
Have you felt her crop?  If it's distended she ccould be crop bound. Gurgling sound in time with breathing? Could be mycoplasma.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 06:04:43 am »
Having just lost a hen to Mycoplasma, that would be my guess at the problem as well. But depends on her poos. If they are abnormal it is likely to be something else entirely.

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 01:43:10 pm »
Mycoplasma was my thought, which is why I asked if it was her face that is puffed up and if the noise was her breathing. If so antibiotics is the only sensible option and you'll have to take her to the vets for that as it's not something you can get on-line. Some birds have a natural immunity, but it is infectious and will spread to the other birds. It's not necessarily fatal, particularly if treated, but they remain carriers, which has implications with regard to any new introductions to the flock. She will keep eating and drinking, she may even recover on her own, but as you have other birds I would play safe, go to the vets and get treatment for the whole flock. Not trying to scare you, but it's better safe than sorry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS