Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scour in new sheep- help!  (Read 24541 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Re: Scour in new sheep- help!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 01:16:36 pm »
Hi- all- good news- the scour dried up naturally- I got some advice from a vet and he suggested giving panacur (Fenbendazole)for this go. I have only wormed the 3 from the same source- dagging the affected one and took the opportunity to clip a hoof or four! (2 ewes from another source look perfect- so I have decided not to worm them this time). Next time (before I move them onto a new paddock- via a 24 hour 'cleaning pen' I will use Albendazole to reduce chance of parasite resistance). I will then follow a 'test the droppings for worm burden and worm only as necessary' strategy which sounds kinder on all concerned and the environment. I assume that over time my adult flock will develop some parasite resistance. Thanks to all of you who took the trouble to reply to my post  :sheep:

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 02:36:26 pm »
If the ewe has had scours for this long shouldn't it be given some kind of lactade for dehydration, just asking because that is what we were told to do with ours, it did recover fine, but was the one that was prone to it.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 12:20:59 pm »
Hi Frieslandfilly- I didn't feel the need to get the vet in or administer anything to re-hydrate her (the animal was looking fine except having the squits so my strategy was to 'watch and wait' and then 'worm and watch and wait'). Since the worming all are now fine.

cheers

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 03:34:21 pm »
That's good news  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS