Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Technology rant!!!  (Read 2897 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Technology rant!!!
« on: June 10, 2014, 01:09:27 pm »
Now I'm not a technophobe & am of the generation where we were brought upto use computers in school ect, so I'd like to think I'm reasonably good at using them but it is soo frustrating when you have to update software, update programs every few months, each causing more problems when supposedly their there to fix the last ones we had, then for every single website you have to have a password, email address linked to it & possibly a username all of which can't be simple they have to have soo many numbers,symbols, lower case letters & an upper case 1 or 2 - even when signing up to these websites many don't like the fact that I don't live in a town or city - however I don't live in the middle of nowhere my village has a population of 200-300 granted we have basic facilities but still! & what is with every time you buy a new phone or computer every thing has changed completely & is "not compatible" with the stuff you spent a fortune on last time & you have to find ages finding a store phone number to 8/10 times be faced with a computerized voice, ages on call to try & answer a simple query or min 1 hour round trip back to the store to often find some patronizing store colleague who thinks they know it all but haven't got a clue try & fix it.

This is after spending all morning catching up or trying too on paperwork on my only day off this week & being faced with nothing but stupid little problem after problem & then a few weeks back trying to fix my new phone which is about 4 months old max & going on a similar trip to above & facing 7 phone calls & still the problems not fixed grr!!!!

Cactus Jack

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Tortosa catalunya
    • stevel100
Re: Technology rant!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 03:58:58 pm »
 :thumbsup: but I bet you feel better now ;)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 10:28:11 pm »
Lol yes god I needed that & sorted all my problems out apart from 3 but why is stuff never simple & there's still loads of paperwork to do with whatever you do. Yes I see some benefits of doing stuff online but you'd have thought it could be made simpler as soo many things go wrong, get lost if not backed up in more that 2/3 places & you get to deal with either 1 of 3 types of customer service assistant:

1. The blithering idiot who hasn't got a clue
2. The person who can't speak the language they are supposed to be working in or someone abroad.
3. The patronising git who actually has a clue & thinks they can fix it "eventually" & assumes that you haven't got a clue in the world - these if they get too much with their arrogance I'm more than willing to knock down a peg or two  ;D

Sometimes though technology I find is like banging your head against a wall - look at cars for example the old 1s are soo easy to work on & fix & maintain if looked after well & were actually well made - nowadays you need computers to run diagnostics & hitting a rabbit will knock your bumper off  ::)

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 10:54:20 pm »
I think it's all a ploy . . . .

We used to have a culture, where you could fix things yourself, and you bought an item for life (or at least a good chunk of it) and when it got worn, could revamp it, or replace parts.

Now we live in a throw away culture, where things are almost made with the intention of going to buggery and being more hassle and expense to fix, than it is to buy a new one!

It makes more money for the big companies and takes self reliance out of the hands of the ordinary person.

And it sucks!

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 12:01:54 am »
Totally agree with you there - I suppose being from a farming family I'm very used to the sayings make do & mend & waste not want not x

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 04:35:50 pm »
Talking of blithering idiots, don't forget the ones that don't know the answer to a direct question so answer it by changing the subject and talking at great length about something else (in the hope you'll forget you asked). Have come across too many of them in my time - I keep repeating the question (over and over if necessary). Drives 'em mad.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 09:58:49 pm »
And the ones who just want to sell you something else.

Actually, my biggest rant is the ISP staff who, whenever I have trouble with the internet tell me to switch it off at the wall and then on again. Yes, I've done that. Must be your router. So why are all the other computers unable to get it, including the one of the modem and the one that is wireless. Definitely your router. Contact the manufacturer. In other words, they don't have a clue and care even less than they know.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS