Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Warrens with Orp's  (Read 1548 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Warrens with Orp's
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:33:50 pm »
Hi Peps,

Someone local to me are selling their Warrens off cheap as they are going travelling. Question is will they mix with Orphingtons (LF). I was under the impression that Orps didn't play well with other breeds/ Mith or Fact?

Would love some opinions from those who know  :thumbsup:

Eggs, Chicks & Hens

• Joined Feb 2011
Re: Warrens with Orp's
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:52:50 pm »
I have just 1 Orpington that a friend gave me, shes in with all sorts of chucks & mixes very well

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 02:45:48 pm »
I've got LF Orps, 3 are very happily mixing with 4 Black Rock, another is in with the offpspring of Warren (are they 'Warren' too  ??? ) and another 3 are happily mixing with several Light Sussex. Can't say I've ever had a problem with them. The Black Rock are a nightmare and want to fight everything that moves (other than the Orps that they know) but otherwise everyone gets on well.
  The biggest problems I've had with regards to mixing have been when introducing new birds to an established flock, irrelevant of which breed of chook.
Buff Orpingtons, French Copper Black Marans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, husband x 1, children x 6, cats x 2

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 03:09:42 pm »
My Orps were in with CCL's and never had an issue, I did have an issue in my other flock with the black rocks attacking everything that moved

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 04:00:45 pm »
Many thanks that's pup my mind at rest, I know they will sort their pecking order out but hopefully once that's done they will settle. Now I know that, Ill go and have a look at these Warren and see exactly what their like, they could turn out to be ancient no idea how old they are and I don't want to be bringing anything nasty into the flock. :thumbsup:  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS