Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Soay X Shetland  (Read 6588 times)

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Soay X Shetland
« on: May 31, 2012, 04:00:11 pm »
Has anyone on here ever done this cross ? What were the offspring like or is it even worth it ?
I keep a few shetland ewes and have a chance of a Soay ram. Struggling to find a shetland ram in my locality.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Soay X Shetland
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:39:39 pm »
We did once do this cross ie Soay tup on Shetland ewe, for reasons too long-winded to go into.  The ewe lamb was white (as her dam) with a few brown marks.  She was (is) pretty much the same size as her dam, but her fleece is much coarser.  Her face is thinner than a Shetland without fluff or topknot.  I think if she went for meat she would have slightly longer and less plump gigots than the Shetland, but much meatier than the Soay - that isn't going to happen as she belongs to lady who would never eat her (not me  :yum: )   If you have no alternative, give it a go.  The cross would be more usual with the Shetland tup on Soay ewes for efficiency, but no reason not to try it in your situation  :sheep:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:41:10 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 05:58:16 pm »
Have you contacted the Shetland Sheep Society - they may be able to put you in touch with a fairly local breeder. You don't gain anything by using a Soay tup, but maybe you could use a texel or Charrolais tup? (or take your ewes to be tupped with someone else's flock, using their terminal sire/tup?) You would get a much better carcass.

I have a white Shetand tup that really should go somewhere else.... where are you?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 06:54:14 pm »
Fowlman is (acc to map) in Wiltshire.......if thats too far away, would you let me know more about the ram?
Having had my op and pretty well recovered now, I'm now on the lookout for the replacement for Curly Wurly (RIP). am in Aberdeenshire.
Altho I prefer coloured Shetlands, I prefer white ones when it comes to sending them off for the chop :-))
We have 17 ewes and gimmers, and two wether companions for the ram.
Curly didnt have brilliant feet (he was an old chap when we got him), so am looking for something with good pins, ideally registered.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 08:00:25 pm »
Thanks all for your replies. Size of carcass isnt a priority for us although the odd lamb will go in the freezer. I thought i had a shetland ram lined up but they never got back to me. 
Yes Anke i am in wiltshire.

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 09:31:12 pm »
I have crossed a shetland with a wiltshire with reasonable results.
But I cross my shetllands with a cheviot which gives a good lamb. Shetland/cheviots are popular here in Aberdeenshire as a cheaper type mule. (but not a mule).
You will get a reasonable price for the lambs.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:53:02 pm »
Funny you should say that crofterloon i had considered a wiltshire horn.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 10:38:35 pm »
I'm Just south of Salisbury and certainly have a Wiltshire horn.....

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 10:41:54 pm »
Is Shepton Mallet in Somerset too far from you?
My friend keeps the Hillend flock of Shetlands just down the road from here and I'm sure she would have something if you wanted a shettie :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 10:52:31 pm »
Thanks both  :thumbsup:

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 09:12:08 am »
Funny you should say that crofterloon i had considered a wiltshire horn.

I used a wiltshire horn on my grandsons shetlands (approx 15) and 24 shetland cheviots
I had with easy lambing results. The lamb were small at birth but soon put the weight on.
Shetlands lambed themselves.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 09:31:25 am »
Thanks that's useful to know.  :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 02:00:32 pm »
Fowlman is (acc to map) in Wiltshire.......if thats too far away, would you let me know more about the ram?
Having had my op and pretty well recovered now, I'm now on the lookout for the replacement for Curly Wurly (RIP). am in Aberdeenshire.
Altho I prefer coloured Shetlands, I prefer white ones when it comes to sending them off for the chop :-))
We have 17 ewes and gimmers, and two wether companions for the ram.
Curly didnt have brilliant feet (he was an old chap when we got him), so am looking for something with good pins, ideally registered.

My tup is Rigg Freddy Blue, pedigree etc should be on the SSS website. He has been shown by his breeder as a shearling before coming here, so has been in harness, but I havenmt kept it up. he is bucket trained and quite easy to handle. He had a white line abcess in winter on one of his hind feet, but seems sound now. Pasterns are fine. It has beeen very damp here last winter...

I also have two tup lambs (his sons) left entire, both singles and growing well. Will be registered in autumn if I think they are good enough.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 03:09:29 pm »
thanks Anke!
I know Brucklay is kindly putting feelers out as well for me at the RHS so hopefully between you guys I will get sorted with a new gentleman!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 03:30:56 pm »
I might be at the RHS helping a friend, but I won't have any of my stock there... it is just too busy a show for me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS