Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trackers for Smartphones  (Read 1474 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
Trackers for Smartphones
« on: August 18, 2023, 10:58:57 am »
Have often mentioned mum is decrepit!

Her current smartphone was purchased a year ago, £80 MotoE20. It does what she needs, WhatsApp, internet nosing, taking photos etc. In my words cheap and cheerful as she has a tendency of dropping them. But, she also puts the phone down and forgets where WITHOUT its sounds on!

We're currently struggling to get a kindelf tracker to attach to her phone. According to Amazon download the App match the phone and if phone lost, press button on tracker and phone will ping EVEN if sounds are off! We've tried it On sisters phone with sounds on and phone doesn't ping so we are stuck.

Does anyone know of any tag that can locate a phone without having it attached to the phone, something else that would break it fixed to it.

Ideas?
No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Trackers for Smartphones
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 12:01:19 pm »
Pip, I'm forever losing my car keys, so I bought a "Tile" tracker for them. This works by ringing when prompted by a phone app.

The reason I say this is that the tile itself has a handy button which rings the phone when pressed (even if set on silent). So perhaps this could be a solution for you? It would of course also be a way to find lost keys.

Of course if you forget you've left both the keys and your phone in your jacket pocket then you're stuffed. Ask me how I know  ;D .

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 06:18:28 pm »
You cab use find my phone on google
Youtube explains - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuTP11UT5oE
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 06:03:44 pm »
You cab use find my phone on google
Youtube explains - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuTP11UT5oE

I looked at that and have checked again regarding your reply, location MUST be On to work. Mum says the only way she will learn how to use the phone is to play with it! Sister has been here many a time trying to sort it out after mum playing with it. (Not just this phone either!!) So far she's locked contacts, lost contacts, put it into safe mode (it wasnt me she said!) Enabled a "do not disturb" function without actually choosing that function, (sister removed memory card and reset it) went to sleep holding it and woke up to find it in French, blank screen several times (blames the phones, not herself for dropping them) thinks "Smart" means clever and gives her email address to EVERYTHING! 1800 emails in inbox alone takes awhile on Android to clear! I offered to boot up my Macair so I could clear faster...... "Not having my password" she tells me! Sister spent 2 days one by one removing inbox, spam etc! Mum has learnt to NOT give my number out to "tradesmen" (the kind that phone and bombard you constantly!) A smartphone is the worse thing mum could have but hey ho!

(I have a Doro flip 6530 that I told today not to die as the latest aren't as good, each new model can't do what mine does! Individual ringtones from SD card. That and the fact all heavier, no good when round my neck on lanyard and sitting in Bra! Can't do that with smartphone, I've tried!)

Anyway, sister has tried today again, still no luck. Amazon refunded it, got a Tile coming.
No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 09:39:26 pm »

Anyway, sister has tried today again, still no luck. Amazon refunded it, got a Tile coming.
:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Sorry to laugh! I'm almost 80 and am a bit of an IT geek, so it really gave me a good old giggle
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2023, 08:38:07 am »
Mrs RTB slips the dog tracker in to one of my pockets , especially on bad days when I go for a shuffle around the farm. And I have a emergency device that I can push the red button or fall over and remain motionless and it calls for help.
I guess she got fed up having to send the dogs to look for me  :-[
My phone is on a lanyard round my neck.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 02:02:21 pm »
Mrs RTB slips the dog tracker in to one of my pockets , especially on bad days when I go for a shuffle around the farm. And I have a emergency device that I can push the red button or fall over and remain motionless and it calls for help.
I guess she got fed up having to send the dogs to look for me  :-[
My phone is on a lanyard round my neck.

Pebble? Got one, perfect for mum who would press button when ever dog was fitting to alert me (it's own ringtone off my SD card). Ours runs on an anywhere SIM, £1/month out of the credit. Best buy ever! BUT to work efficiently, MUM MUST WEAR IT OR CARRY IT! (Yeah, right!) This is mum!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS