Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig laying down to feed!! Is this normal behaviour?!  (Read 3298 times)

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
Pig laying down to feed!! Is this normal behaviour?!
« on: July 24, 2010, 04:56:59 pm »
Hi all. OoooooI love my pigs and they are growing fast (10 wks old today but I've only had them 2 wks ) but one of my boys loves lying down to eat! Sure he thinks hes a dog! Just wanted to know if this is normal behaviour? Hes fit and healthy  ( they all are) just prehaps a bit lazy when it comes to feeding time? TIA for any replies and i still can't reduce the size of my photos so I can post on here :(
Also are conkers poisonous to pigs? :pig:
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Pig laying down to feed!! Is this normal behaviour?!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:31:42 pm »
I can't comment as I have mad animals, I have pigs that do there own thing and eat most food containers even squashed a metal one a collie who is afraid of sheep, a sheep that thinks he is a dog and a horse that will lie down for a fuss.
If I knew what was normal I would help  ;D

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 06:39:52 pm »
Weaners sit, stand or lie down -  they don't seem to mind if they have food at mouth.

Many weaners will lie in the trough on the food to hide it whilst hovering up all they can.

If he is "lazy" then make him work for his food,  Spread it around on the dry or damp soil if the weather is ok, and make them take time to find and eat.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 07:28:25 pm »
I can't comment as I have mad animals, I have pigs that do there own thing and eat most food containers even squashed a metal one a collie who is afraid of sheep, a sheep that thinks he is a dog and a horse that will lie down for a fuss.
If I knew what was normal I would help  ;D

LOL!! Love it!

Thanks also Oaklandspigs. I put their feed on the ground ( as it is nice and dry )and they seem to like that.....along with lots of back scratching! He is funny though! His tail curls the opposite way to the others, so maybe he is the one i gotta watch out for as he gets older. He does give me the beedy eye when I feed them. Glad it is nothing to worry about. They seem to be pretty active during the day....doing a fine job of uncovering buried junk/bulbs at the moment and I do sit and watch them for a while  just to make sure they are ok. :pig: :)
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 08:50:31 am »
[quote He is funny though! His tail curls the opposite way to the others, [/quote]

He is a left handed pig

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 07:58:08 pm »
 Or gay  ;D ;D ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:28:16 am »
Re conkers, I am not sure, I know they love chesnuts, we dont have conkers around here to try. 

pointy

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 09:01:38 pm »
Define normal?

I can't and I've worked in mental health for 37 years. Remember everything is relative, brother sister etc., etc., etc., ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 09:52:05 am »
we have 3 10wk old piglets and they all lay down to eat tipping their washing up bowls to get at the pig nuts.
re conkers always believed they were poisonous to pigs so i don't feed them to my pigs.
hth mandy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS