Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: old pig stys  (Read 5550 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
old pig stys
« on: October 20, 2010, 09:20:11 pm »
as ye guys know sometime we will be moving from where we are, but still keeping animals at all cost ;)
my question here is, there is a old cottage that we are visiting saturday it has an old pig sty, i know that that is how they were kept
years ago but are we still allowed to use them, what im trying to say is that space ok for 2 pigs, as we all on here like too
give our pigs as much space as possible,
thanks for any advice as this will help us in our decision on the properity.
thanks langdon ;) :pig:
Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: old pig stys
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:23:15 pm »
is the totally enclosed?
if so, how big is it?

if not, then just fence them in around it...
Little Blue

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 09:29:22 pm »
wow thanks for quick reply ;)
not sure of size the details online were'nt given as to what size it was and there was no pics, just said old pig sty included,
but your idea would be workable, thank you we are seeing it on sat will let you know then
BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
langdon :D :pig:
Langdon ;)

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 08:55:36 am »
We still use our Victorian brick pig sty works a traet for us we have 4 sows in there at the mo!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 09:26:22 am »
Hi Langdon, hope its all perfect for you.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 09:51:21 pm »
will let you know how it goes, we got bleeding viewers coming to see this house on sat, im really
pi**ed of with the landlords.
with christmass coming soon i think they could wait till after the holidays is over.
i said to beth we should tell the viewers the smell of s**t is awfull from the dairy farm next door, the speed of the traffic
is awfull passing the house, people coming looking for scrap metal all the time!!!!!!
again will letr you know how we get on ;)
thanks for your support.
langdon :pig:
Langdon ;)

alisstuf

• Joined Sep 2010
  • New Forest
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 11:07:19 am »
Hi, We kept large whites in Scotland 12 years ago now, in traditional concrete stys. We had 4 fattners in one and our boar who was to be our breeder in another. They were perfectly happy but needed cleaning everyday as obviously yard was small. Then our landlord decided to sell so we had to let them all go and never got back to pig keeping until now as we are buying this place coz landlords are too unpredictable.
Only problem we had with stys was securing the boards at the entrance, no matter what we tried they would eventually lift them and I spent Xmas lunch chasing boar round farmyard!!! Happy days!
Also he would climb on water trough so kept breaking it but it was all attention seeking!!! Pigs, whod have them  :love: :pig: :pig:

moyhill

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:45:24 pm »
we have raised two saddleback weaners in a traditional pig sty in rural Co Clare which the previous owners (who live next door) tell me had not been used for at least 15 years. There was sufficient space to satisy our local vet inspector when we got the pig licence and as they approach their butcher date there is still plenty of space for the two of them.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 10:19:05 pm »
Old fashioned pig stys are great- I'd love some. They make good goat pens too if the walls are high enough.

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 11:00:36 pm »
co.clare good football team ;), im from the beautifull county of meath.
over ere in wales for nearly 12yrs now and love it.
langdon :D :pig:
Langdon ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS