Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay nets  (Read 10093 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Hay nets
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 11:12:27 am »
Thanks CW, that is BRILLIANT.
I have 2 or 3 which I kept, as they 'might be useful'. OH fed up of them, especially as plastic wrap coming away in parts and therefore they look not so nice for storing food.

I knew it was worth keeping them.

Just have to figure out a way of using bailer twine ( without loops) to keep them attached to the pens...

Jo
Uh... anyone know whether those bits of plastic would harm the sheep if they nibbled them off and ingested them?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 11:37:22 am »
If you have Tim Tyne's book there is a photo of some wooden hay racks he made. I used his design estimating sizes from the photo. Like him, I made them so they would fit over the wooden hurdles I made, also inspired by the book.

Like Dave I'm copying the expert - hoping to pick up battons from the local sawmill later today to make up 20 hurdles and 10 hayracks (i have some ply for the ends left over from a previous job) - I know what I'm doing this weekend!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 12:38:03 pm »
I have the side of an old supermarket milk trolley, looks like a hurdle but with lots of small metal squares (3cm/3cm) I have tied it to a flat back of fence and then shove hay in between! its great, no wastage with the sheep. Goats on the other hand would probably naff it up, they have haylage nets now we have no young'ns to strangle themselves and are fine. THere was a golden guernsey kid strangled itself up the road in a proper, shop bought hay stand/rack once.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 12:40:09 pm »
I have 2 or 3 which I kept, as they 'might be useful'. OH fed up of them, especially as plastic wrap coming away in parts and therefore they look not so nice for storing food.

Just have to figure out a way of using bailer twine ( without loops) to keep them attached to the pens...

Jo
Uh... anyone know whether those bits of plastic would harm the sheep if they nibbled them off and ingested them?

I use zip ties all the time for a plethora of jobs around the farm. Tie what needs tieing up then snip the excess off at the base (on the side that is loose, not the locked side  :innocent:  ) pick up the excess that you've snipped and it leaves a nice, neat secure holding that the sheep won't bother with. Plus the stuff that ihey are made of is pretty tough so you'd have to have a pretty hugry and determined sheep that wanted to niblle through it!!!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 12:43:10 pm »
Reusable (/releasable) cable (zip) ties.  They are brill, I use them all over the place.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 02:00:37 pm »
Good point Sally, my lot ~(sheep, goats and rabbits) have always been fine, I don't recall them ever being nibbled but best to keep a close eye on any bespoke feeding equipment :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 01:20:35 am »

Jo

I use zip ties all the time for a plethora of jobs around the farm. Tie what needs tieing up then snip the excess off at the base (on the side that is loose, not the locked side  :innocent:  ) pick up the excess that you've snipped and it leaves a nice, neat secure holding that the sheep won't bother with. Plus the stuff that ihey are made of is pretty tough so you'd have to have a pretty hugry and determined sheep that wanted to niblle through it!!!

I didn't mean the cable ties, Cap'n!   ::)  I meant the plastic covering on the wires of the freezer baskets!  - as nn says, these crumble and break off.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 09:21:24 pm »
ah, hehehe  :innocent: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS