Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep weekend!  (Read 1633 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Sheep weekend!
« on: October 28, 2013, 03:52:27 pm »
As well as my own sheep, I seem to have been looking at everyone else's flock.

My neighbour across the lane invited us over to see his new purchases - 10 of this years Shropshire sheep lambs - very nice.  All destined for the freezer later this year.

Then we went to pick up two big haylage bales locally, and I enquired about his rare breed lamb and pork he had advertised.  Kindly showed us his lambs, ewes, and very nice ram - Dorset downs.The lambs were very well grown.  Reminded me of  white bears, so chunky.  Going to order some lamb for the freezer.  Had a look at the pigs too - GOS x Berkshire.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: Sheep weekend!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 04:21:48 pm »
Both very nice breeds. But i do have a preference for the down breeds. :eyelashes: 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 05:33:36 pm »
Supposed to be the sweetest flavour of lamb.  Berkshire pork reputed to have a tendency to be on the dry side - addition of GOS should compensate as well as giving a bigger carcase.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:43:27 am »
I was really impressed with those sheep - they started out with them a couple of years ago, and have built up a nice little flock.  I assume a whole lamb will be quite big  (looking at the size of those destined for killing),  Just thinking of what I could fit in my freezer!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS