Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WILDLIFE - plucked bird  (Read 3436 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
WILDLIFE - plucked bird
« on: October 12, 2010, 12:07:10 am »
I'm a bit stuck as to where to put wildlife questions, so I'll try here this time.

Today I found a 9" diameter patch of tiny feathers plucked from a small bird, in our front garden.  We do have a cat but she has never dealt with a bird by plucking it before.  It looks like the work of a bird of prey.  We have sparrow hawks but when I have seen them take small birds they fly off with them, rather than plucking them on the ground.  Can anyone suggest what might have left the feathers
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: WILDLIFE - plucked bird
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 07:56:10 am »
im afraid it does sound like a cat. would the sparrowhaw not of pluced it in a tree.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 09:08:06 am »
Check the group of feathers - the guts may be there too - if so then I'm afraid your cat has reverted to nature.  All cats will take birds if they are within reach. How many feathers were ther in this 9 inch diameter patch as that is a big area for small bird.  Are they small or large feathers?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 11:24:21 am »
Lots of birds of prey do pluck on the ground. I have seen them take off when they are surprised on a track. 

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:56:58 am »
Sounds like a bird of prey that was interupted.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 12:39:25 pm »
When Ilived in Halifax we had a garden that backed onto awood.The Sparrowhawk used to come on to my lawn and pluck the birds and eat the best bits straight away.It then flew the rest of the carcass away to eat at leisure or feed to young.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 08:16:06 pm »
sounds like a sparrowhawk

we have one that often sits on our front lawn plucking its latest kill!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 12:37:05 am »
The patch appeared to be an entire small birdsworth of feathers neatly plucked but absolutely no guts, feet, blood, gall bladders etc which the cat would leave.  She does catch birds, although fewer now she is getting older, but she has never left plucked feathers around - she is more likely to dump the corpse on the doorstep as a present.  I am inclined to agree that it is the sparrow hawk, which is maybe getting cheekier.  It, or probably they, live in woods just across the road from my garden, they take birds from our feeders and hunt along our hedgerows (spectacular) but the feathers are just outside my livingroom window - which would be a first.  Most of the other wild birds just ignore us, so maybe the sparrow hawks have joined the dissing  8) Thank you everyone.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS