Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubator for dummies  (Read 875 times)

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
Incubator for dummies
« on: February 26, 2024, 10:36:03 am »
Hi all

My daughter & I would like to hatch some eggs in an incubator. Can anyone recommend a make model for beginners?

Thanks

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Re: Incubator for dummies
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 12:20:08 pm »
My kids use a Brinsea octogen and it works well not the cheepist but we have had it years

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 09:02:30 pm »
It's a great thing for kids to learn from - I lent my incubator to a local primary, but I added a word of warning which I'm sure you'll have thought of - make sure you can find good homes for any chicks that hatch, especially males.
It was a Brinsea Octogen I had too,

Then I lent it to someone amd never got it back
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 08:42:58 am »
I use an R Com 20 Pro - not cheap but has a lovely clear lid that acts as a viewing window.

As others have said, have a plan for the males you hatch (approx 50% of each hatch). No-one will want them unless they are good quality pure breeds and even then don't assume you can rehome or sell. Best to hatch either a breed that you can ultimately eat eg one of the table bird breeds or an auto sexing breed eg cream legbar where you can tell males from females as soon as they have hatched. You then have the option to despatch all males straightaway so you only spend money rearing females. This may sound gruesome to a beginner but you do have a responsibility for anything you hatch. If you choose to hatch and rear table birds it's also a good way of teaching children where their food comes from.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS