Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pylons  (Read 8958 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
pylons
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:15:27 pm »
something i have been wandering for quite some time is can a pylon be removed?? i am sure i have heard of this happening before although very costly, i was just wandering if anyone here has ever heard of this or maybe have even done it before?? it may be possible to pay the council or a company to bypass your land or even go underneath?? not sure really so any advice will be a great help!! I may have got it completely wrong and will just have to live with it!! thanks for any replies greatly appreciated!!  ??? :-\

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: pylons
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:17:29 am »
Certainly with telegraph poles and I believe, electric poles (not sure about pylons) you have the right to request their repositioning or even removal - was told this when we signed to receive wayleave payments for poles crossing our land.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:41:33 am »
Pylons hold humungous amounts of power so I very much doubt if they can be 'grounded'. Ill check

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:41:45 am »
Depends on type: 11kV ones like this, I guess its possible - but it will surely cost.

Any bigger than that - I very much doubt it
 :( 

Can you work around it?
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:48:05 am »

We have one in our garden and if we want it moved it would cost us around £20,000, it does mean that we can't build anywhere near it but decided just to live with it.
Anne

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 10:17:49 am »
A friend of mine has just won 6k compensation for one that crosses part of his garden.  :o

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 11:53:24 am »

Chriso was it there when he bought his house? The one in my garden was and at the time we signed the wayleave without thinking about it, so they now say that we have to live with it.  >:(
Anne

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 04:54:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure it would have been there when he bought the house but I will ask next time I see him, not sure about any wayleave agreement though.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 11:42:31 pm »
We have a lot of the wooden poles in our fields, and also one of the big giant steel strutures, although thats well away from the house.

One of the posts was right next to the house, blocking the way round the back.  The electric people came to renew the posts a while ago, and they did put some wires under ground.  Because they were there, and renewing the post anyway, I asked how much it would be to move it a few feet.  I know its usually costly. Anyway, the kind men said as it was being renewed anyway, they would move it the few feet out of the way.  OK, I can see it from the house now, but at least its out of my way.

I think they will move a pylon, but at a cost, and probably only if they think its for a good enough reason

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 04:39:30 pm »
I have a pole on my land , and they pay me the grand sum of £6.87 a year I think ? for the rent of the land it stands on .  Some time ago I thought about having leccy put on and they came out and priced the job . It would cost me £3,750 if they could do it without a new transformer . If they needed to put up another pole that would cost £1500  and the transformer between £10,000 and £15,000 . They were told what they could do with their leccy .
 I am now going to tell them to shift the pole that is on my land as I no longer want it there . If they don't I will , sod this carp of asking IF they will move a pole ... it is on my land and if I want it moved ... moved it will be .
It just goes to show the absolute cheek of the big companies ... They decide how much they will pay for the rent , a tiny pittance , and if they have to put a pole up they charge £1500 plus the cost of leccy and such forever after... anyone got a match  ?????

cheers

Russ

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 05:57:15 pm »
thanks for all replies so does anyone know how much it would roughly cost to have a pylon moved if we were willing to pay?? it is a bit more than a wooden pole, it is fairly large and obviously metal but we may find it wil be in the way in the future!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS