Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egglu not safe!  (Read 1849 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Egglu not safe!
« on: April 12, 2020, 12:25:53 am »
For years my old style Omlet egglu has been a fortress. What on earth did manage to get in there and try to pull a hen out through the 1cm gap in the door??? And how ?? Thank heavens I heard the racket and found her wing pulled through the gap but no predator! Flabbergasted is a mild expression ...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Egglu not safe!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 01:49:01 am »
Stoat?
Is she OK? Will you be able to block it off? Poor girl.
We had a larson trap and something got to decoy from underneath (there was a perch), that was bad enough.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 05:31:28 am »
Shocked and upset, will check her over again after the night in the cat box ... My thought as well that stoat or mink might be able to do that, I‘m still not sure how it reversed out of there with a hen‘s wing ! The gap is barely a cm wide.  Trap will come out today, we were struck by a mink 2 years ago killing all 5 in a different house, the egglu was safe until now.

AnnS

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 10:14:27 am »
We’re new to keeping hens and I have set up a trail camera to see who/what is about during the night. Other night had a fox in the garden, then mice around the shed area. Bit of a worry though. Thank goodness you heard the noise. Reading your post think I will place a couple of traps.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 01:36:04 pm »
We had some mink about, going through my call ducks, set a fenn trap in a special long box, got 3 of the B's.
Another time had some pheasant eggs, only one hatched, had it in a run and went down one day, something had got it, it's head and neck were pulled through a small gap where the run mesh panels met at the corners.
I felt so guilty, poor thing couldn't get away from its predator ????.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 02:30:23 pm »
This is the gap it tried to pull her through, barely larger than a cm. I‘m surprised they‘re alive, it took me 15 seconds to get outside with the torch. Maybe it had just stuck its head in and grasped the wing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS