Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Belgian smallholding ramble number 3 or a waffle if you prefer  (Read 1873 times)

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
Thursday 10.15 am  Mr Smug is me. Three hours work under my belt and time for a break. 

We are on amber alert here.  A possible visit from my mother has become a certainty. Ferry is booked, she arrives in ten days.  My dear lady wife is already thinking menus. Cold shoulder and tounge sandwiches probably.  One week for my wife is about the limit,and it works both ways. oh well, such is life.

The new chickens are settling in well. One developed a limp however. Next morning it was all hunched up and not moving much, and then it died. Our local supplier gives a day warranty on them ( really ! )  so I called him up. Not one for sentementality he just said, and I translate ... " Just bin it and I will give you another one when you come "   This is one clever old seller even if he is a bit short in the ' caring ' dept.

The warranty is a clever plot. He always sticks to his word. This has happened twice to me. The problem is I always end up buying other birds I did not want. Last time I went in for my 9 euro warranty claim, I came out with over 85 euros worth of geese. He really makes a supreme effort to sell sell sell. Dear lady wife informs me I am useless at saying no, so she is going this time.

THE BIG GREY LORRY.  Carrying on with the dead animal theme really. I never knew until recently what this lorry collected. I had often seen it trundling around the lanes. High sided dump truck with a crane fitted. You can never see inside.   Then one day I saw a dead cow being lifted in.  After talking to a farmer friend he told me the company collects all dead farm animals. What for ,was my niave question.  Clue dear readers ?

Whiskas.

Yep, it all gets grinded up and used as dog and cat food. Not whiskas, but some local Belgian brand.

What a job eh !    " what do you do for a living ? "       " drag dead animals into a truck "

Although we live in a remote area, july and August gets a bit busy with people.  The nearest building is a large old brick ' space ' .  Space is the only word I can think of. It is three floors with huge rooms. Used to be a condensed milk factory up until the 60s. Then they closed the railway so their goods were kind of stuck.

It was left empty for 40 years and then a charity bought it. Holiday camp for kids with nothing. It is great to hear them laugh and enjoy the country. However all this changed recently.  They play music outside in the day, no problems for me, but..... Michael Jackson music.  It is driving me nuts. I have decided that this mourning, this collective out pouring of grief, is no longer normal behaviour , well at least in my mind.

Kevin

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Belgian smallholding ramble number 3 or a waffle if you prefer
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:49:21 am »
hehe
Michael lives on

sandy

Re: Belgian smallholding ramble number 3 or a waffle if you prefer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 07:58:34 pm »
Hope my children do not think like that about me!!!!!
The chap who gives you your money back has the wright idea, we have bought things like electrical stuff that we have not been happy with and you can guarantee that the only model to replace what you previously bought is a lot more money, that is unless you are my partner, he's not done it for a while but I remember him buying a CD in one shop and it was dearer in another, so, he took it to the other shop saying that is where he had bought it and got more money for it and bought something else instead, the shop would have just put it back on the shelve to sell for the higher price, not sure how he managed that but he has done similar bargain things with clothing and outdoor wear...!!!!!!
Music goes around in fads according to fashion trends. I wounder what young people will be playing in 20 years time? I bet it will be re releases of stuff on sale now....and as the original rock chicks are hitting their 70's, I wounder what will be played in the old peoples clubs for chair aerobics???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS