Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red mites  (Read 7363 times)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: Red mites
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 07:16:42 pm »

The house is from Flyte so Fancy and not cheap, the burning solution doesn't appeal  :o

I'll bet!! WOW, those coops are  EXPENSIVE!!
Is it time to retire yet?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 07:19:11 pm »
Anna, DE is also very good in a dust bath. The birds treat themselves for lice while having a lovely time.
I dust the nest boxes with it too as they spend such a long time sitting in there.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 08:59:40 pm »
Having kept poultry since childhood, we used "in the old days" to creosote once a year with proper creosote. Used to treat the house in the morning and let the hens back in to roost in the evening. The house was well ventilated and we never had any ill effects from the creosote on the poultry.
Now, DE is effective but you have to use it continually.
A good treatment to apply to the hens themselves is Ivomec pour on, as used in cattle. Some vets will supply a syringeful of it. You just put a couple of drops on the bird's head, where it doesn't preen itself, and it gets rids rid of external and internal parasites. You can also put it on legs to get rid of scaly leg.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

AnnaB

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 08:06:53 pm »
I'll bet!! WOW, those coops are  EXPENSIVE!!

But made of very solid stuff, the last house fell to bits in double quick time, and .... :innocent: ......it looks nice in my garden ...

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 05:22:12 pm »
Nothing wrong with spending out on quality I say and supporting a good UK business too. All these eBay chinese houses are useless and pretty much a waste of money. Been there, done that. if i didn't build my own I would invest in something with a good 20-30 year life if treated well.

Back on mite. Another good idea is to introduce wood ash to their dust bathing area. You can create some easily buy burning some clean wood and scooping up the ash if you don't have a wood fire in the house. It does a similar job to DE and is finer than earth so makes their baths more effective.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 06:45:52 pm »
we actually build our own houses too

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS