Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: flies  (Read 4127 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
flies
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:55:46 pm »
 being surrounded with cattle, means there are a lot of flies hanging around. Lots of flies mean lots of eggs/maggots,

i have a problem with flies getting into the hen huts, laying eggs, and not buggering off again, the eggs and maggots are easy for me to dispose of, just scoop up, stick in a bucket and feet to the birds.
the adult flies are more of a problem, i don't like using aerosol's around the hens, especially with young chicks, and i don't have enough head room to hang fly papers, and those candle's are to unsafe to leave on unattended in a wooden coop.

How can i kill or get rid of these flies without the methods stated above (if it's possible)

Cheers

HappyHippy

Re: flies
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:08:52 pm »
Vapona do a stick on sunflower fly killer - very effective  ;) The flies crawl over the centre of the flower (where the poison is) and die shortly thereafter  ;D
They're designed to go on windows, but i don't see why they wouldn't work (as long as you've somewhere to stick em' (alternatively - stick them to a bit of paper and hang up, they're not really sticky like fly papers)
http://www.gardenessentials.co.uk/products/27VAP__VAPONA_SUNFLOWER_WINDOW_FLY_KILLER_STICK

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:24:04 am »
http://www.ppcsupplies.co.uk/STV590G

above is a solar powered fly zapper...there are battery operated ones also as well as mains . Lots of other ways on the site too ....hope that helps ....

cheers

Russ

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:35:44 am »
Not sure about the vapona flower stickers, they work well especially on a sunny window, but I would not like them near chickens, and would worry about the hens eating poisoned flies.  Just my own concerns, probably a bit ott.  :-\

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:29:59 pm »
But they'd be great for my conservatory!  ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 07:55:59 pm »
They are good, but you get piles of dead flies under where you stick them :-\
I hadn't thought of the chickens eating the flies HM - maybe not such a good idea then !

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 08:28:04 pm »
We have just started selling in our shop a product called redtop fly trap if you google it pretty easy to find.Description as follows.

Exceedingly effective. Ideal for smallholdings poultry farms dairies - or anywhere plagued by flies every summer. Low cost easy to use disposable. Catches up to 20000 flies every trap and once trapped they can't escape. Bait is especially appealing to female flies - so reducing the next generation. SImply hang the fly trap away from the area you wish to protect. Bait lasts 4-6 weeks

1. The RED TOP needs UV to work and should be hung in direct sunlight.
2. The warmer the weather, the faster the catch (and obviously, the more flies there are to catch!)
3. The RED TOP should not be hung inside a building - it is designed to attract the flies out of the building.
4. Depending on the scale of the problem, the
RED TOP can be filled to capacity (20, 000 flies!) in
as little as 3 days - or it can be catching flies after 12 weeks!

Might be worth a try.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS