Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hebrides Islands  (Read 10497 times)

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
Re: Hebrides Islands
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 08:40:24 pm »
Good suggestion by Rosemary
http://www.crofting.org/index.php/home
Here's the web site. Worth a look even if just for the Home page pictures that change at the top ;D

You don't always get Common Grazing rights with a croft. Some have them, some don't. It is mentioned when advertised or, if not, worth an email to the agent involved.

Rgds
Sskye
Rgds
Sskye

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 08:54:50 pm »
thanks guys, a beginner guide...lol...for anyone else who is interested. :excited:

http://www.crofting.org/index.php/faqs/67

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 09:06:43 pm »
Good suggestion by Rosemary
http://www.crofting.org/index.php/home
Here's the web site. Worth a look even if just for the Home page pictures that change at the top ;D

You don't always get Common Grazing rights with a croft. Some have them, some don't. It is mentioned when advertised or, if not, worth an email to the agent involved.

Rgds
Sskye

You're right - lovely pictures. I would love to take on a croft. ah well, I can dream.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 11:37:21 pm »
sounds about right Southernskye. The red tape etc can be a nightmare but lots of helpful info from Scottish Crofters Federation as Rosemary says.
We are part of the Assynt Crofters Trust so its a more personal relationship with the 'land owners' than some faceless organisation etc.
Crofts are also not huge areas of land, and can be  just a parcel of land of a couple of hectares and you need to know about the common grazing rights as someone else may have those (dad has mine just now)
Great idea though about renting a cottage for a couple of weeks in middle of winter as a practice run, spend the time finding about feed supplies/prices etc, schools (our nearest secondary is 50 miles away!) that is of course if you are not in the middle of a storm and still have working phonelines and electricity  ;D
Oh and be prepared for SILLY SEASON when the roads get blocked up with holidaymakers driving at 5 miles an hour when you have to go to work and ones that think its quaint to see real 'crofters' while you're trying to cut your peats and are knee deep in mud  >:( >:( >:(
But I wouldn't live anywhere else  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 08:15:17 am »
Oh I got the giggles imagining you cutting peat with an audience of photo snapping tourists :roflanim:
There should be some extra income in some way there

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 08:35:28 am »
Oh I got the giggles imagining you cutting peat with an audience of photo snapping tourists :roflanim:

I'd go bonkers if anybody pointed the camera at me without asking permission. And they wouldn't get it...

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 09:40:33 am »
its gets so annoying, feel like throwing them a big soggy peat! One nice lady did send us copies of the pics she had taken and they were in old sepia colours so looked lovely but as for the rest of them  >:(
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 10:11:24 pm »

I think you would need to be a special kind of person to live on a tiny island with a population of 20

Not special, just a particular kind of person.

Me and the OH lived on an island with a winter population of 4  for four years (in our final winter we had a small baby and there were just the three of us!). You do have to able to do stuff without calling on others all the time - you get good at problem solving, but when there is a big job to do, very small communities are very good at pulling together as you need each other to get by. You learn to look out for each other eg in the winter, we always made sure we had seen the other inhabitants, even if it was only on the skyline, to be sure they were ok, and I know they did the same for us.

On the other hand, unless you are careful not to  live in each other's pockets, they will drive you nuts, so a careful balancing act is needed. Summer visitors are good at asking dumb questions, but everyone will know who you are because as a year round resident, you become something of a summer celebrity - we hardly ever ate at home over the summer months as we were constantly being asked to dinner by holiday visitors.

I was only 21 when we moved there - it taught us a huge amount and it was a brilliant thing to have done while we were young, fit and had few responsibilities. I am eternally thankful to have had such a brilliant oportunity at the start of my adult life!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 11:32:03 pm »
im seriously considering island life, not sure where yet, but my children are causing me to have a restricted choice. going to some places means my eldest will go straight off to weekly boarding school, which is fine if they are happy but terrible if they hate it. with the chance of them going on a boat to school - i really shouldn't have let them watch the titanic   :roflanim:

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 11:51:28 pm »
My concern with living on a smaller island would be making an income. That's what has always put me off. Selling livestock must be much less profitable with the transport costs involved and tourism aside surely jobs are thin on the ground. I have often contemplated living on Islay. Love the place having spent a bit of time there. Everyone was so friendly and im sure I would fit in well there but I just couldn't make the figures work unfortunately.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 06:30:03 pm »

I was only 21 when we moved there - it taught us a huge amount and it was a brilliant thing to have done while we were young, fit and had few responsibilities. I am eternally thankful to have had such a brilliant oportunity at the start of my adult life!

I don't think there are many 21 year olds that would even think it possible to live that way - no clubs, places to hang out and friends to talk to... I am sure it wouldn't have worked for me then, now maybe... Even though we do have neighbours, I can go for days without seeing anyone or speaking to anyone other than my OH and (human) kids, but I do talk to the caprine ones...

Our main concern was actually schooling for the girls when we were looking and we ruled out the islands and North-west of Scotland for that reason. I don't believe in boarding from the age of 12, so we choose to stay where there are local schools (Scottish Borders), even though that meant to keep a mortgage and OH working up in the city 4 days a week... limits what we can do with the holding right now.

I maybe would have considered home-educating them for primary, but not so much for secondary. Just my personal choice, but if you can (and want) to home-educate, then Island life should be fine... (as long as you have a good broadband connection)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 08:42:23 pm »

On Arran when I lived there, a photo of someone peat cutting made the front page of the local paper. The photo was taken from the main road which ran past the peat bogs and showed the man was wearing nothing but wellies.  :roflanim:

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 06:46:11 am »
I know this calender has been done in many variations but here is our local one
http://www.ranningsvallen.se/kalender.html
klick in on Bilder and the various years.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:50:02 am by renee »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 09:53:59 pm »
Think I prefer the ones with their clothes ON.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 08:53:08 pm »
Hay was so expensive in the Spring in Shetland due to being very hard to get. I was told it is for sale around us for £45 per round bale again due to late Spring and bad weather. Almost all of our local feed merchants have sold out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS