Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crovect V Clik ... the differences  (Read 1022 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Crovect V Clik ... the differences
« on: July 01, 2023, 03:13:27 pm »
A follow up to a previous post (where 2 completely opposing opinions were given)  .... and an annual debate ......   

How Do Clic and Crovect work?  .... and which is best when?  ..... only real info please not personal experience 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Crovect V Clik ... the differences
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 03:46:20 pm »
Crovect only prevents strike on the bits of wool it’s sprayed on. Lasts 6-8 weeks. Treats for ticks I think too and lice.

Clik spreads throughout the wool so protects the whole body. Clik lasts 16 weeks, click extra 19 weeks, clikzin 8 weeks. They all work in the same way (spread and cover the whole body). Clik wont stop flies laying eggs, but they will hatch and die before they get to the damaging stage.

An elanco rep told me crovect pre shearing and to treat established strike, Clik after shearing to protect for rest of season.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 04:02:30 pm »
To clarify, the liquid in the Crovect bottle can be used for :

- lice
- ticks
- flystrike prevention
- active flystrike

BUT, the method of application differs for each. 

So it's *not* "one treatment covers all ectoparasites", but it *is* "one bottle can meet [almost] all my ectoparasite needs".  (Covers biting/chewing lice but doesn't cover sucking lice.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 04:25:10 pm »
For those concerned about environmental impact and residues in food (and wool)...

Both products are very harmful to aquatic life (albeit cypermethrin is not very persistent in the environment) and treated sheep should be kept away from watercourses for at least an hour after treatment.  Unused product and empty containers should be disposed of appropriately.

The Defra info sheet about Clik/Clikzin stipulates that treated sheep should be handled as little as possible in the weeks after treatment, protective clothing should be used if handling is unavoidable, and treated sheep should not be shorn for 3 months.  No equivalent warning for Crovect (although many of us prefer to not shear for a minimum of one month, and the Natural Fibre Company stipulate 3 months.)

Accirding to the Defra info sheet, Cypermethrin, the active ingredient in Crovect, has no tendency to accumulate in animal tissues, whereas figures are given for the half life of dicyclanil, the active ingredient in Clik/Clikzin, in the liver (13 days) and kidneys (10 days) with unchanged dicyclanil being found in muscle, fat and wool. 

Crovect accordingly has a milk withdrawal period of 5 days but Clik/Clikzin must not be used in animals producing milk for human consumption at all.  Crovect has a meat withdrawal period of 8 days, Clik/Clikzin 40 days. 

The info sheet for dicyclanil also specifically mentions that use of this product harms dung flies.  No such statement appears in the Cypermethrin sheet.

The Cypermethrin sheet mentions that an overdose can cause neurological symptoms, from which the animal (or presumeably human) will generally recover within a week.  Whereas the dicyclanil sheet lists no known symptoms arising from overdosing at up to 5 times the recommended rate.

You can read these sheets for yourself if interested. Cypermethrin (Crovect)Dicyclanil (Clik/Clikzin).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 05:38:17 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 04:51:24 pm »
I made a checksheet to compare these factors, for ease.  Either save the pic and open it in your own app, or I've done my best to make a table of the info in the post below.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 05:37:21 pm by SallyintNorth »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 05:33:30 pm »
Product name Crovect Clik et al
Active ingredient Cypermethrin Dicyclanil
Precautions at treatment Wear protective clothing Wear protective clothing
Keep animals away from watercourses for one hour Keep animals away from watercourses for one hour
Impact of overdose Neurological symptoms, will clear within one week None
Precautions post treatment   Handle as little as possible for several weeks.  If handling unavoidable, wear protective clothing
  Do not shear for 3 months
Environmental warnings Toxic to aquatic insects and crustaceans - but is not very persistent in the environment Serious risk to aquatic life
  Harms dung flies 
Active ingredient accumulates in tissues  No  Yes 
Metabolised before excretion  Yes No, or only partly 
Milk withdrawal  5 days May not be used in animals producing milk for human consumption 
Meat withdrawal  8 days 40 days 

« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 05:35:45 pm by SallyintNorth »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2023, 05:39:50 pm »
:bookmark: Clik vs Crovect - environmental issues and residues

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2023, 09:54:37 am »
Sally has given a very good explanation , you could look at the active ingredients  in wikipedia for more in depth .  If you read the data sheets you get all the relevant information  as sally says crovect covers many insects , just applied in different ways at different dose rates  , when fan sprayed to prevent blowflies   crovect sticks to the wool and does not spread , when applied as a pin stream down the spine for lice & ticks  it travels all over the body via the lanolin . For headfly a small amount is applied via a t-bar and stays in place on the top of the head  the same for blowfly treatment the small amount stays in the treated area  again via t-bar  .  Clik  etc  has a product called fleece bind  so when applied via fan spray it spreads and sticks to the fleece  and if the sheep is damp or very light rain after application it spreads more
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 10:15:39 am by shep53 »

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 11:47:05 pm »
There's also Alphacypermethrin (Dysect/Zemasect), which I think of as "super crovect"

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS