Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kid Pandemonia :)  (Read 1589 times)

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
Kid Pandemonia :)
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:34:50 pm »
So our two girls have both kidded. Rifkele had her three boys on Thursday and Mary came 5 days late today with her Sannen x Boer kid today.

Mary's kid born today:

Rifkele's boys

Mary thinks all the kids hers now.She drives Rifkele away from her own brood and I will probably have to remove and hand rear all the kids to restore peace in the goat shed.   

Has anyone raised and kidded a Saanen(XX) x Boer(XY) to adulthood? I am just wondering what kind of milk yield Mary's kid would give.

Joseph.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Kid Pandemonia :)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:38:46 pm »
Well done with successful births and all doing well - is there a chance you can pen them with their own kids to do it on their own?
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:09:56 pm »
Lol, knee deep in (very sweet) kids.
Yes, I'd pen them separately and let them rear their own kids - far better for all concerned.

I'd have this sort of chaos in my goat byre too, so have penned each mum with her own kids and let them out in rotation at the moment to play in the big byre.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:07:01 pm »
The kid in the first picture looks just like my Snowcloud, also a SanaanxBoer.

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 01:28:29 pm »
Things settled down somewhat after I separated the boys away from their mother overnight to take the morning milk.  From what I read online, Boer X Saanen do give decent enough milk yields. So perhaps she is a keeper!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS