Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Light sussex cockrel - free to good home, Lanark area  (Read 4267 times)

HappyHippy

Light sussex cockrel - free to good home, Lanark area
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:51:50 am »
Following my purchase of 5 light sussex, we've got 2 extra cockrels  ::)
I'll try and get a photo on later  ;)
Anyone want to give them a reprive from the pot ?  ;D

HappyHippy

Re: Light sussex cockrel - free to good home, Lanark area
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:53:09 am »
No takers, poor Rocky won't be happy to hear that  :(

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:59:50 am »
I assume two of your new ones have turned out cockerels?  Everyone is in the same boat, their young ones are just emerging as cockerels, and there are lots available.  I still have some, but they are all bantam cockerels.  If you have a spare hen to sell, and let the cockerel go too, this sometimes works better and you may get a buyer.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:17:29 am »
Karen, aren't you keeping them to annoy your neighbours ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:48:21 am »
Nooooooooooooo I would never do something like that Annie  ;) I wanted a cockeral to run with the hens, but with 2 (or possibly 3) there are signs of fights ahead, and I really don't want that.
You're right Roxy, it was the new ones I got at the market, I will avoid younger birds from now on I think - play it safe with the POL's !

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:13:14 pm »
hi...first post, joined especially to say....YES PLEASE! (but i must say i think i will be hanging around, this seems to be a very friendly forum you have going on here)

i just lost my cockerel, silly boy got himself on the road, 2nd time, and this time we couldn't save him.  :(

his wives are sad without him, and i miss hearing him greeting the dawn everyday.

i'm through in ayrshire, could come over on sunday if that would suit you?
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 08:10:43 pm »
That would be absolutely fine - and great to know he'd be going to a good home  ;D
I'll pm you my details, thanks again xx

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 08:35:14 pm »
that's great, thank you very much!

ooh, all excited now, sooo looking forward to 'cockadoodledoo' again every morning!  ;D :chook: :chook:

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 10:46:07 pm »
well, christopher is very happy indeed with his new harem, the girls welcomed him in with open wings, and i took a wee look at them before i came to bed, they are all  snuggled up on the perch, him in the middle, a happy man!

i'll keep them in the run tomorrow, then let them out for a roam after tea, the girls will show him the way home, i'm sure.

thank you very much karen, and for your hospitality too, it was lovely to meet you and your family, what a happy clan you all are!

(well, steve wants to call him christopher, after christopher cockerel who invented the hovercraft. i was thinking of lesley, as he came from lesmahagow, his predecessor was called rosie)

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 05:38:41 am »
he just started crowing.... oh i have missed that sound!  :) :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 01:33:18 pm »
I'm glad he's settled in so well, it's nice to hear - considering what his fate would have been if he'd stayed here  :-[
I think you got the loudest one Marty, somewhat quieter here this morning  ;)
If you and Steve are ever passing this way again feel free to pop up for a cuppa, we're always around  ;D

Back to the original post - I still have another 1 looking for a home, if anyone else is interested.

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 09:35:58 pm »
well, i let them out for an hour before roosting time, to see how he would get on, he was absolutely fine, checked out the garden, but once the girls took off over the field, he bolted for the hut! then fretted until he saw them coming home, and ventured out again to meet them.

looks like he'll be fine, and tomorrow we can just return to the old routine of them being out to roam free all day.

he didn't seem to mind the constantly herding collie either.  :chook: :dog:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS