Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to clean a smelly lamb? Bacteria?  (Read 1269 times)

tamsinabrahams@hotmail.co

• Joined Apr 2021
How to clean a smelly lamb? Bacteria?
« on: April 18, 2021, 11:00:19 am »
Hi, we have just got 6 orphan lambs, they were around 48hrs old.  Now about 5 days old.  All 6 are feeding fine.  One of them is smaller and covered in browny, crusty stuff all over.  We presumed it was after birth and left her after reading on here to only spot clean lambs (we have done that around her back end).  But now she is starting to smell and her umbilical cord looks more wet than the others.  I have sprayed her umbilical cord with disinfectant, but I don't think that is the smell, I think it is her generally, so maybe this mess on her is breeding bacteria.  This is our first time having lambs... what should I do please? how should i clean/help her?  thank you so much.  Tamsin

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: How to clean a smelly lamb? Bacteria?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 03:26:25 pm »
Not a clue ,so pictures needed

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: How to clean a smelly lamb? Bacteria?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 11:18:09 pm »
Did you dip the cords in 10% Iodine at birth?  An infection via the umbilicus can kill a lamb, so if that is the problem she may well need an antibiotic injection from the vet, quickly.
Ah, on rereading I see they were orphan lambs so you will not know what the original treatment was. Assume the umbilicus was not treated and get it seen by the vet.

Have you sniffed her body - both near the umbilicus and over her fleece? The sense of smell is an important part in diagnosis and will help you home in on the source of infection.
An unusual smell could be indicative of a metabolic disorder which is for the vet to deal with.

Is she scouring ie diarrhoea?

Is the muck on her coat dry?  If so you can brush her with a wire pin brush to get it off, if it's wet then there is something else wrong, rather than it being dried on afterbirth which the ewe has not cleaned. If it was a difficult birth, or of the ewe died, then the lamb could have been covered in bright yellow, faecal-stained birth fluids which could now be smelling. I see no problem in cleaning the lamb, as long as you dry her properly and make sure she does not lose body heat.

A photo would be helpful but a quick phone call to the vet about the umbilicus would be much better than hanging around for a possible answer here - you could take the lamb down to the surgery to save a call-out fee and let the vet see the lamb now.
It could be not much, but equally baby lambs die very quickly, so don't waste time wondering.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:27:09 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS