Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 5 week old kid unwell  (Read 1534 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
5 week old kid unwell
« on: September 05, 2015, 05:46:03 pm »
he's our only male kid from this years kidding and usually a boisterous little brat but watching him today he seems out of sorts
Doesn't seem to be eating much outdoors or chewing the cud. Sitting down and having little trembles.
He had his first shot of wormers (Triclafas + Cydectin) 2 weeks ago and lambivac last week.
tempted to give him a dose of baking soda incase he's bloated though he doesn't seem swollen at the moment  ???
Going to sit and watch him for a while and see if he is weeing etc and eating again. The kids are all on a mix of crushed barley and a little flaked maize as well as milk from mum's. Hay in their house for night time and out grazing etc through the day.
Any thoughts?.....
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: 5 week old kid unwell
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 06:16:40 pm »
Acidosis is a possibility if he has overdone it on the barley. he is still quite young for concentrates, especially if he is also eating (wet) grass... So yes baking soda may be a good idea, also if he is cold - I would put a coat onto him. Can you take his temp?

Barley can make them blow up quite easily, one of the reasons mine get oats.

My boy had acidosis as a young kid, and ended up at the vets for a couple of nights on a drip...

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 06:21:03 pm »
just been out to sit and watch him for a while and he seems ok, climbing up my legs, trying to eat the zip on my jacket and chewing away, backend is soft if anything so no bloat.
I just get paranoid  ::)
All the kids started getting stuck into their mums feed in the morning which is why we now feed the mums before the kids get out, but at night the kids run in to their house and nibble on the crushed barley but will maybe change to oats if its easier for them to digest  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 12:30:25 am »
Hope he's ok, frh

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS