Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do i set up animal assisted therapy?  (Read 2240 times)

sheeponies

• Joined Oct 2022
How do i set up animal assisted therapy?
« on: October 04, 2022, 10:18:46 pm »
Hi I'm new to this so please bear with me!

I have been trying to set up an animal assisted therapy/nature/holistic place for schools and individuals to come to but having trouble getting any information from the council at all. due to having the general public there i need to do everything "by the book" or at least be completely covered in every way i can. I will have public liability insurance but and i have looked into absolutely everything else (also have qualifications in the field of animal assisted therapy)

please let me know if you have any advice and please be kind :excited:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: How do i set up animal assisted therapy?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 12:13:14 pm »
I have no idea, but perhaps some of the petting parks could help.  The Yorkshire one that's been on TV recently might have their qualifications and certificates on their website  Try this https://www.cannonhallfarm.co.uk/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: How do i set up animal assisted therapy?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 07:21:41 am »
You might need planning permission to have a business or change of use.
You certainly need insurance.
You will need to provide toilets and hand washing. And I would of thought hand wipes at the point of contact.
Car parking.
Risk assessments.

Have you done your market research?

I don't know why the council aren't helpful but maybe you haven't been speaking to the right dept.

Google petting farms and there is lots of info.

Preventing or controlling ill health from animal contact at visitor attractions or open farms - Agriculture - HSE

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS