Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping Rodents?  (Read 10598 times)

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
Re: Keeping Rodents?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 07:54:35 pm »
A friend of mine has an 8 foot burmese python, and a couple of cornsnakes and a pair of leopard geckos ( I think that's what they are  ???) Weird looking things. She also keeps guinea pigs in a shed for the snakes, and buys frozen rats. I told her she's quite welcome to come and catch the rats here!

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 08:02:14 pm »
A friend of mine has an 8 foot burmese python, and a couple of cornsnakes and a pair of leopard geckos ( I think that's what they are  ???) Weird looking things. She also keeps guinea pigs in a shed for the snakes, and buys frozen rats. I told her she's quite welcome to come and catch the rats here!

Burms are a little on the big side for me, she should breed her own rats its really easy (but a bit stinky)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 06:26:08 pm »
I used to work in a zoo with 2 15ft Burmese Pythons and a big Boa.  On my first day I was told that the reason my predecessor left was that one of the Pythons swallowed her arm!!!  Whether the story was true or not I don't know, but I went into the Snake House with some trepidation.  We bred rabbits and chickens for them.  I loved the Pythons, but their coils were so heavy to push out of the way when I was trying to clean around them.

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 06:37:30 pm »
I used to work in a zoo with 2 15ft Burmese Pythons and a big Boa.  On my first day I was told that the reason my predecessor left was that one of the Pythons swallowed her arm!!!  Whether the story was true or not I don't know, but I went into the Snake House with some trepidation.  We bred rabbits and chickens for them.  I loved the Pythons, but their coils were so heavy to push out of the way when I was trying to clean around them.

Its very possible for a big burm to swallow your arm,it couldnt bite it off but it would take some getting off.

They are a a bit of a handfull when they are fully grown thats for sure

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 06:42:07 pm »
 :o :o I hope they were just winding you up MiriMaran! They are very heavy, but apparently quite affectionate (?). I like snakes but not too keen on the idea of a Burmese python winding around me to show affection.

Dangermouse, my friend wouldn't want to breed rats - she doesn't like them very much, hence the guinea pigs for the snakes instead!

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 06:49:10 pm »
:o :o I hope they were just winding you up MiriMaran! They are very heavy, but apparently quite affectionate (?). I like snakes but not too keen on the idea of a Burmese python winding around me to show affection.

Dangermouse, my friend wouldn't want to breed rats - she doesn't like them very much, hence the guinea pigs for the snakes instead!

Rats are not everyones cup of tea for sure but they are very affectionate little beasties honest..... ;D

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 01:19:39 pm »
*shudder*  :P

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 02:04:56 pm »
*shudder*  :P

See no one loves my wee beasties  :-[

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 02:17:23 pm »
My neice used to have pet rats and they are quite affectionate. Domestic ones are fine.

Beth

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »
My neice used to have pet rats and they are quite affectionate. Domestic ones are fine.

Beth

Thanks Beth, see on people like ratties (they do make superb pets for kiddies)

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 02:26:43 pm »
It's something to do with their tails, for me, anyway. It's that thick bit where it's attached to their bodies, ugh! We found a recently dead one under the boards, that were meant to be put up as a shed, and it measured 17 inches from head to tail, and part of the tail was gone anyway. Gah, it was horrible  :P For some of us, it's a racial memory from when rats were plague carriers.

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 02:33:19 pm »
It's something to do with their tails, for me, anyway. It's that thick bit where it's attached to their bodies, ugh! We found a recently dead one under the boards, that were meant to be put up as a shed, and it measured 17 inches from head to tail, and part of the tail was gone anyway. Gah, it was horrible  :P For some of us, it's a racial memory from when rats were plague carriers.

I would still reccomend not getting too close to wild rats dead or alive, they carry some nasty dieseases for sure. Domestic pet rats are much cleaner but you still need to be aware that they can carry dieseases

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 02:41:30 pm »
I know! There was that lady who died from Weil's disease a couple of years ago (in the news) - she was trying to release a rat that got caught in something, and got a scratch off it's claws, and died within the week  :o All she had were flu-like symptoms, and then went downhill pretty fast  :( I like hamsters and guinea pigs and chinchillas - they're rodents too, so I suppose there's hope for me yet, when it comes to domestic rats!  ;D ;D

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 02:44:36 pm »
I know! There was that lady who died from Weil's disease a couple of years ago (in the news) - she was trying to release a rat that got caught in something, and got a scratch off it's claws, and died within the week  :o All she had were flu-like symptoms, and then went downhill pretty fast  :( I like hamsters and guinea pigs and chinchillas - they're rodents too, so I suppose there's hope for me yet, when it comes to domestic rats!  ;D ;D

If your ever down my way ill sort you out a nice pretty one for a pet  ;D

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 02:48:18 pm »
Deal!  ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS