Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wytsend!! got my cattle nuts...  (Read 14005 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Wytsend!! got my cattle nuts...
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 06:43:12 am »
It would have been at our old house Sally so I can see where you are coming from  :)  we had a dairy farm a few feet from the old home and the man who owned it was a friend whose sons went to school with my 2 eldest - would have been perfect  :)
I think one of the things that struck me when we moved to this village was "where's the cows?!" loads of sheep and being Evesham, loads of plums and other orchards and vegetable growers but no cows (apart from some dexters that try to break into our orchard sometimes and no-one knows where they come from lol)  Thanks Sally xxx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 10:21:17 pm »
Yes I just ask keith and he gets in as much as I want.I just get 4 bags at a time as I don't have so many goats any more.I usually give him a weeks notice(He usually gets it in on Thursday) I've got some more comming but I tend to go for nuts as they can't pick and chose.
I should think your stray Dexters coe from along the Bank :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 08:07:49 am »
I think I'll pop back to Keith then, I'll have to buy in some winter hay from him anyway and some straw for kidding. Those dexters scared the life out of me first time because they snuck into the copse by our orchard and as I was happily picking plums one let out a huge MOOOOOOOOOOO!! i thought it was a monster and squeaked lol.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 08:48:31 pm »
Have you tried Greenhills?I think that's his name,for hay straw silage etc?Go across the Pebworth crossroads and its on the right just as you come to those houses in the 30mph limit.He delivers too

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 09:18:39 am »
Will have a drive out there - thanks Jinglejoys. We did find a man in Badsey who has horses, we've just taken the last 6 bales from him. Delivery would be good as I think hubby getting fed up with me filling his van with hay  ;)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 05:16:13 pm »
Plums that is so funny but please, I'm trying to avoid laughing just at the moment.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 01:32:20 pm »
 ;D  sorry ! xx

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 03:49:30 pm »
Ahem - we have a few dairy farmers around, you know, the nearest to us is Bretforton - the organic farm that makes Spotloggins icecream?
 Greenaways have stopped doing hay and straw. I heard today it's going to be £10 per bale in February so buy it up now! I'm making my own hay next year, I'm fed up with this!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 08:07:24 am »
Oh yes! of course Spot Loggins, forgot about that. Haunted there, you know. bit too close to halloween to be going there... ;)
we spoke to Keith about a walk along hay cutter because of the gradient on our land, hay making is nigh impossible. they cost about £1000 which we don't have, unless the metal detector finds something nice, so have to keep buying it in. Keith's is ready this week coming..time to buy a LOAD then. and you hear about these arsonists setting light to hay barns, they have no idea what they are doing they really don't  :( >:(

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 02:22:05 pm »
Certain sections of the community are also stealing hay so we must all treat is as a valuable possession this year.
 I shall be at Keith's as well - could descend into a scrum!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 04:23:23 pm »
Mmm, been a bit of hay rustling for a while round here. Not the usual suspects though as I actually know who delivers it to them for their horses and they pay for it! Ours is in a locked barn which is fine until we lose the key (touch wood we havne't yet!!!)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 11:06:51 pm »
Hard to believe people are actually stealing hay although I know there are those who will steal anything if it's not nailed down.  Presume it's being done on a large scale?  Don't need to lock my barn - it only holds six small bales.  ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 08:24:32 am »
Fairly large scale hay rustling here. we've also had manhole covers nicked and anything metal that you leave in your front (or back) garden eg. pushchairs, bikes, scooters, mobility scooters, fences... the scrap metal man thinks anything shiny is his for the taking!  oh and then the charity donation bags...they get pinched within minutes..very sad. There's a large traveller site up the road and they get blamed for most things, quite often they do some bad stuff but I do know that a lad (son of a friend) actually works for a local hay dealer and delivers the hay to the site and gets paid for truck loads so quite likely not them in this case  ;)

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 12:43:13 pm »
Of course, there are rather a lot of different 'usual suspects' round here! :)

I thought the manhole cover thieving was an interesting new line - the government's always telling people to diversify!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 01:52:56 pm »
Very true!! they've had to put traffic cones over the manhole that are uncovered now so you have to swerve round them esp in Offenham! apparantly the estate by the prison has had all their manhole covers nicked, bit ironic I thought  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS