Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Longwools and flies  (Read 8175 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Longwools and flies
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 11:40:12 am »
It's one of those fleeces that looks so gorgeous, but when I've spun it I've found it not so very wonderful after all.  Have you spun any of it yet?

I've just been going through my fleeces from this year's shearing and I have been rather disappointed with the fleece from my sole Lincoln Longwool. it is no where near as soft and lovely as my Gotland x Shetland ones.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 12:10:20 pm »
would citronella and quassia chip help? they do smell very strong and flies hate the smell. :thinking:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 08:26:29 am »
It's odd really, given that Wensleydales originate from...well...Wensleydale.  You'd think that would be fairly similar to where you are Sally, but a bit more sheltered.
That was m'thinking when I bought some to try!  But perhaps it's more rocky and windswept where they normally are.  We're soft wet ground here, and do have lots of trees.

Mind, a friend had some white ones on a moorland farm, hardly any trees at all and one of the most windy places there is, and that didn't work out either.  Again, very wet ground.

Their feet have been good so far, though, so at the moment I am hoping I can at least get some Shetland x lambs off them then may have to find them new homes.  It'll be a wrench, especially the steely-blue one, they are so sweet and friendly.  :love: :sheep:

Hereabouts there are very few Wensleydales, and no-one keeps them for long, because of the muddy draggles they get in winter.  Same for other longwools.
Aye, we crutched them thoroughly in autumn last year and I am thinking about clipping them completely (but leaving about an inch of wool except on the legs) this year.

It's one of those fleeces that looks so gorgeous, but when I've spun it I've found it not so very wonderful after all.  Have you spun any of it yet?

I've spun Wensey that I've absolutely loved, and I've abandoned Wensey that was too much hard work to comb.  It's like BFL, in that once combed it's a dream, and the lustre is sublime, but some fleeces are too ringletty to be worth the effort of hand-combing.

Last year, m'moorland friend got a fleece drum-carded, which I thought was bonkers, and sure enough the batts were pretty lumpy-bumpy.  But then another friend, a much more experienced spinner than me, span a sample of it loose and thick on her Lonsdale, plied and washed it, and it was absolutely gorgeous yarn.

The fleeces off my two are still in the heap of all-my-fleeces, awaiting sorting.  Wincey, the really black one, looked like she had just walked out of a shower for weeks after clipping, so the lustre on hers will be fantastic.  Quincy is a beautiful steely-bluey-grey colour.  I won't be surprised it there's some felting in the fleeces, we've had some of the Mules quite felty, but hopefully there'll be at least some of each I can use.  I don't think they should be too ringletty to be useful, or at least, they certainly won't be too ringletty all over.

I really do want to get some Shetland x Wenseys...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS