Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blueberry Plants  (Read 6287 times)

Tullywood Farm

Blueberry Plants
« on: July 05, 2009, 07:32:00 pm »
Hello - Anyone know anything about Blueberry plants.

I live in the West of Ireland and my soil is suited to most things, but my six young blueberry bushes have not got bigger or produced any fruit for four years.  I have them in medium sized pots and have had no joy whatsoever.  I put them in the garden soil last year and they were even worse and looked half dead, so I put them back in the pots.

What can I do?  They are outside behind my greenhouse which is South facing and quite sheltered - but we do get a lot of rain.

Julie

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Blueberry Plants
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:10:51 pm »
I belive Blueberries need to be in errication (spelling) soil

so that might be a problem
Linz

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 09:52:28 pm »
Oh,are they supposed to be ericaceous soil? (just googled and yer correct FWS!) I think ours are planted in whatever was lying about and are fruiting quite well this year,nothing last year. We bring them indoors during the winter and put them in the cellar.  Anyway,found this link which looks quite helpful....Ree

http://www.dorset-blueberry.com/cultivation/after_care.asp
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 11:09:02 pm »
I repotted mine in ericacious compost last spring - not much difference so far...:&>

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 08:50:38 am »
round here we have the indiginouds Bilberry, which is very like the blueberry, but smaller. It grows all over the place, and in august when the berries are ripe it is a great passtime. send the kids out on the moors while you have a picnic. they make fantastic jam and the best pies, either on their own or with apple. I think the soil where they grow is mostly acidic.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 06:25:17 pm »
the wild ones are unbeatable in taste! we don't get many, probably too many hillwalkers, lol :&>

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 09:54:10 pm »
round here we have the indiginouds Bilberry, which is very like the blueberry, but smaller. It grows all over the place, and in august when the berries are ripe it is a great passtime. send the kids out on the moors while you have a picnic. they make fantastic jam and the best pies, either on their own or with apple. I think the soil where they grow is mostly acidic.

You should start propagating and selling them Carl, I would buy some.  We had some in Yorkshire, but you never see them now. 

Could be a new venture for someone good at growing acid loving plants - I give up with the Blueberrys  :( think they just don't like the west of ireland)

Julie

sandy

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 08:14:14 pm »
We pick loads of Bilberries up here when we go out with the dogs, we get bitten to bits and your back suffers, the funny thing is my dog eats them too!!! Lovely :yum:

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 02:06:58 pm »
It takes ages to pick enough. I pod on, head down, occasionally looking up to regain contact with kids. some are ready now, and the old folk are on the moors like locusts.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 10:43:16 pm »
Where can I get Bilberry plants?

Julie

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 12:32:37 pm »
Julie,
Found this for bilberry's from Mr Fothergills
http://www.gardenersworld.com/shopping/offers/category/plants-seeds-bulbs/
Hope this helps,
Karen

sandy

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 12:40:18 pm »
We picked loads more last night :yum: when we were out with the dogs, they ate lot's too, we were bitten to bit's, they made me itch all night......we do have 2 small Blueberry bushes  but only get a handfull off one of them so far, and the other is an expensive stick..

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 07:51:48 pm »
Hi Karen

Got really excited and was going to order some, when they state on the web that they only deliver to the UK! :'(

So will have to wait until someone is coming over in a car - and get them delivered to their house to bring over to me ::)

Thanks for the information - its a great website  ;)

Tried Future Forests who are our Irish supplier of trees - no bilberry though.

Gonna get Joe to build me a second greenhouse with a higher roof for fruit only, then the blueberrys might improve. ::)

Julie ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS