Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mix to give newly kidded mums  (Read 5254 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Mix to give newly kidded mums
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:30:51 pm »
I can't remember the 3rd ingredient in the mix I give the mums after kidding - I'm sure I was given it on this forum a couple of years ago!

So - porridge oats, molasses and....?  Or, does anyone have any other special treats they give their goats after kidding?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Mix to give newly kidded mums
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:35:01 pm »
Mine loved flaked maize - they can't have too much or they'd bloat, but it's good treat for busy new mums  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:08:14 pm »
My spoilt goats get cut maize nearly every day!!
 only a little mind you, and it persuades the milker to stand still....

Raisens are a favourite treat here, and an occassional banana :)
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 11:27:52 pm »
Salted peanuts go down a treat with one of mine but the other doesn't like them.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 12:21:24 am »
I can't remember the 3rd ingredient in the mix I give the mums after kidding - I'm sure I was given it on this forum a couple of years ago!

So - porridge oats, molasses and....?  Or, does anyone have any other special treats they give their goats after kidding?
Could be wrong but I seem to remember reading a warm bran mash is recommended?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 09:12:51 am »
Definitely  warm sugar beet for fibre.... mine love the warm water.   Don't forget there is now a large 'hole' where the kids were   and goats need to fill their bellies with as much fibre as possible in the first few hours after kidding/

I usually offer my girls a drink of warm milk.... my experience has shown that if they drink it readily then they are possibly short of calcium...... top up calcium !!  This prevents milk fever.

The goat mineral mix has excellent levels of calcium in it so should prevent milk fever..... will await reports on this in due course.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 10:21:06 am »
Ah yes, it was sugarbeet!  good idea about the milk...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 06:38:59 pm »
My 'goat' vet said that adult goats shouldn't drink milk although another one told me that it was fine to feed it to one while she was in a withdrawal period due to antibiotics.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 08:21:57 pm »
Most adult anythings can't digest milk, western European humans are unusual in this respect. Don't know if ruminants are different, do they have bacteria that produce lactase?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 09:32:40 pm »
Most adult anythings can't digest milk, western European humans are unusual in this respect. Don't know if ruminants are different, do they have bacteria that produce lactase?

Adult pigs love milk, and it seems to be really good to bring condition back onto recently farrowed sows. My dog has now learned that at the end of the cream separation there is always a bit of cream left inside the centrifuge... well worth queueing up for... No problems with her having milk for he rbreakfast most mornings either...

I have heard of goatkeepers feeding a bit of milk back to nannies soon after kidding to prevent milk fever, I haven't had to do that yet, although I have used Calciject in pregnancy toxaemia and/or hypocalceamia just before kidding.

Mine get a mixture of bran and sugar beet shreds, warm, and the molasses from the shreds go into their drinking water. I would add Caprivite regularly.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 08:33:37 am »
Here is an interesting article about milk and humans which refers early on to other mammals but doesn't go into much detail. I'm curious now 'cos I've certainly heard people feeding whey to pigs (and chickens).......

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 12:15:44 am »
That's interesting, Jaykay.  thanks for the link,

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 06:44:10 pm »

When I did my training as an Aromatherapist one of the things we were told was, that Europeans smell of sour milk (all to do with the way we get rid of waste) to eastern people as they do not drink it at all

How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS