Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Felling tree from cherry picker  (Read 6484 times)

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
Felling tree from cherry picker
« on: October 24, 2023, 02:28:39 pm »
Hi Folks,

we need to cut down a few coniferes before the wind does the same and throws them into the house. The trees are about 10 meters high, maybe 50cm in diameter and too near to the house to be felled safely from the ground. Especially, if I do it... is it possible to hire a cherry picker, use some sort of pole saw to first remove all the branches and then use the chain saw to slice it up top to bottom?

Are any of those battery powered pole saws any good?

Happy  :raining:

Christian

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Felling tree from cherry picker
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 03:29:34 pm »
I think you may find a cherry picker an expensive option [member=25883]Christian[/member] , because there is another way to do it which we have used many times with a fair degree of accuracy (6 metres between a greenhouse and shed once). Take off as many side branches as you can reach with a Silky pole saw. Throw a rope with a snap clip over the next one (use a lead weight) and clip it around the trunk. Pull it tight and tension it in the direction of fall. Notch the trunk in the direction of fall and then cut slowly from the back keeping tension on the rope at all times. Once you have it moving towards the rope it will just keep going.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 07:55:37 am »
Christian are you in UK?  If so do you have appropriate chain saw cert to fell a tree? 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 09:18:49 am »
Hi Folks,

thanks, Chris - the Silky pole looks brilliant! I'm not yet done with the idea of the cherry picker (there's stuff to be done to the house, too....), but the silky looks like a better option than the battery powered pole saw.
And yes, I am in the Scottish Borders with a LANTRA certificate (I do take a hint, though, I could do better).

Christian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS