Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TB????????  (Read 6125 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: TB????????
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 08:25:54 pm »
I am in Scotland, and so far no TB here.

Scotland's status is "TB free" but it is a fallacy to think that this means there is no TB in Scotland.  There are cases from time to time; there was one in Dumfriesshire (in cattle) fairly recently.  But the level at which there are cases in Scotland allows the country to use the status "TB free". 

Don't ask me, I don't make up the rules.  :D
I know there are isolated cases of bTB up here too, but it is not something that is in my herd health plan, so I am not quite absolutely sure about all the rules.
As far as I know most cattle that come to shows up here has to be tested, and also it seems to have killed off the Alpacas at the local shows (but alpacas and bTB is a completely different story.)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 08:55:35 pm »
I'm beginning to think there are distinct advantages to keeping goats in a back garden with only a yard.

Rhi, I hope the second tests are all negative and that your goats keep well.  Good luck with the breeding.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 09:23:51 pm »
As far as I know most cattle that come to shows up here has to be tested, and also it seems to have killed off the Alpacas at the local shows (but alpacas and bTB is a completely different story.)
I'm sure you're right, any cattle moving into Scotland have to be tested unless they are from a TB4 area and, I think, have spent all of their lives in a TB4 area - or it may be that they have to have spent their whole life on one holding and that holding has been TB4 for all of that time. 

(TB4 is 4-year testing, the lowest risk status there is.  All of Scotland is TB4 from a testing point of view.)

As I understand it, there is no reliable test for alpacas but there does seem to be a significant risk they can carry it.  So - hopefully - Scottish alpaca-keepers are aware of the risks and do not bring alpacas (not sure if it's all camelids - it probably is) up from south of the border.

Goats and sheep can carry it but the recorded incidence is very low.  However, that small risk is why BH won't let me fetch sheep here from anywhere other than very strongly TB4 areas - hence why I buy in Scotland and at Carlisle!  (Although I know there are now a few non-TB4 parishes in Cumbria, which makes us want to be even more careful.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rhi

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 09:28:44 pm »
Thanks everyone, a ministry/ animal health vet is ringing me in the morning to let me know what's what, I don't think my vet knew fully, and I wasn't convinced. I will have definate answers tomorrow, will keep you all posted. TB is bad round here, we were down with it for 2 whole years at one point, been clear for 1.5 years and now we've reacted again, and it just happened to be in the 2 cattle who kept escaping in to the forestry!! Their post mortem results came back as visible lesions which puts us at high risk status, meaning we have to test 3 more times and be clear each time, which I didn't know until earlier. Thanks guys xx

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 09:36:31 pm »
Quote - Posted by: SallyintNorth
and also it seems to have killed off the Alpacas at the local shows (but alpacas and bTB is a completely different story.)

I hoped you mean it's killed off their presence, I'd hate to think of all those poor Alpacas keeling over because they go north of the border  ???

Rhi's post has just come in, hope all goes well for you in your next tests Rhi, you think there are badgers in the forest then?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 09:54:34 pm »
It was Anke who posted about alpacas killed off at Scottish shows - I assumed she meant it had killed off the entries, not the actual alpacas. :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rhi

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 11:03:50 pm »
@penninehillbilly, its full of them, the farm on the other side is constantly down with TB, although his sheds a re badger proof its difficult to get everything to the standard and they go into his silage pits and straw barns. We have a lot around our land here, we're surrounded by woodland on 3 sides and river on the 4th side so they tend to stay our side of the valley, although, they have felled a huge chunk of the forest by our house and I've noticed the badgers have moved into some old sets close to where I keep my goats which is one of the reasons I got thinking about TB, then we went down with it and alarm bells started ringing.
My dad lives near Huntley Aberdeen and he says TB just isn't an issue up there like it is down here. my family breed and show british blue cattle and when going to shows like royal highland TB rules are a lot stricter and usually and extra test is done to be sure when taking stock into scotland, where as down here we can show the stock fine without extra testing. Its a huge issue, with many different debates and opinions. X

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 11:24:49 pm »
Sorry to hear Rhi, I hope the other vet in the morning helps to settle your mind. I too would have thought the goats should definitely be tested.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 11:36:40 pm »
Really hope you get good news.
We have always kept suckler and  milk cows on our farm, and for the past 50 years have had a clear test for TB . Cattle only tested every 4 years.. Unfortunately, during the test, it became apparant that the cattle on our land were affected by TB, and I think 5 farms round us were affected too.
My goats were up the lane, away from the fields the cattle were in.  I spoke with the vets, who advised me to keep the goats on a small fenced area, as a precaution, and to pasteurise any milk.  At no time was I offered a test on my goats, and I have asked numerous times, and been told there is no need..
Farms near me are now on a yearly test.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 06:48:14 am »
Rhi.........if you are offered a free test for the goats.....accept it,   for 2 reasons   (1)  peace of mind &    (2) these are rarely offered so always good to accept.
I tested for Brucella on this basis 4 yrs ago !!!!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 07:11:19 am »
It was Anke who posted about alpacas killed off at Scottish shows - I assumed she meant it had killed off the entries, not the actual alpacas. :D
Of course we Scots don't kill off the Alpacas... ;D , but this year there were none at Border Union, and having talked to (former) Alpaca keepers it was because of TB restrictions for feared contact between animals and humans etc etc...
Rhi - hope your goats and the rest of the coos are ok.  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS