Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Landrover Discovery..good or bad?  (Read 11488 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Landrover Discovery..good or bad?
« on: May 07, 2013, 01:54:40 pm »
Due to test drive one in 8 minutes...its a nice colour (that probably gives you an idea how wised up I am on vehicles  :innocent:   )   Not sure how old but it looked well driven but for the price seems like it could re place our current VW that breaks down every few days  >:(
just wondering what your feedback is on Discos?  we have a freelander 2 (on a 2012 plate) which I love so far but I wanted something a little less dainty and slightly sturdier for towing etc
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Landrover Discovery..good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 02:01:28 pm »
Whats the engine? If you can find a 300TD with not to many miles on, should be a good thing - they are fairly old though.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:14:48 pm »
Engines OK, bodywork and electrics shocking ('scuse the pun). I was glad to see the back of mine...

If you get a good one, they're quite comfortable to drive and capable off-road but lift the rear carpet as the metal floors are very rot prone and expensive to replace. The inner wings also rust badly.

Once I'd disabled the immobiliser on ours, it started fine but it wasn't a job for the faint hearted
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 02:39:39 pm »
Thanks both.Its an XS apparently. Just driven it, felt lovely but steering completely different to what Im' used to on the freelander.
lifted carpet and no rot  :fc:   currently the windows don't open properly (electrics probs!) but he's mending that right now as well as servicing and taxing.  for £1500 I think it could be a good buy?  especially as we are waiting to hear if our VW caravelle is a right off (with insurers now following a rear shunt) - we need something with 7 seats that can handle some rubbish weather on the slopes here in the vale.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 02:58:43 pm »
For 1500 quid I'm assuming it'll be a 300tdi. Engines are excellent though keep your eye on coolant as they don't like to be overheated. Not a problem on most of them. Transmission and drivetrains are usually trouble free if they've been looked after in terms of the odd oil change etc. Electrics can be bad but not always. The big problem is rust and electrolytic corrosion of the aluminium bits. Places you absolutely must check for rot are the boot floor, the wheel arches inside where the rear doors shut, the sills and the inner wings. Finally have a really good poke around inside where the rear tailgate closes. If it's rotten there it will likely be terminal as the whole body shell can twist out of shape. First sign can be the tailgate not closing easily but that could also be the hinges. You won't find one with no rot so you need to judge how rotten it might be at the next MOT time. There's nothing that can't be fixed but if there are a lot of bits it will add up to a lot of money at MOT time.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 04:04:51 pm »
Better off with a 110 safari longbase, or Isuzu Trooper .

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 04:05:51 pm »
I have on old D1 and find it very reliable and easy for my OH to repair when it goes wrong - like a giant Meccano kit, everything just bolts together. None of the electronic things like the modern cars. I used to drive them from Southampton to Peterborough  and Birmingham with no problem. I took a New D3 out for a test drive a couple of years ago and I think I prefer the old ones. That is just my opinion though. I don't like all the electronics in new cars - more things to go wrong.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 04:12:51 pm »
For 1500 quid I'm assuming it'll be a 300tdi. Engines are excellent though keep your eye on coolant as they don't like to be overheated. Not a problem on most of them. Transmission and drivetrains are usually trouble free if they've been looked after in terms of the odd oil change etc. Electrics can be bad but not always. The big problem is rust and electrolytic corrosion of the aluminium bits. Places you absolutely must check for rot are the boot floor, the wheel arches inside where the rear doors shut, the sills and the inner wings. Finally have a really good poke around inside where the rear tailgate closes. If it's rotten there it will likely be terminal as the whole body shell can twist out of shape. First sign can be the tailgate not closing easily but that could also be the hinges. You won't find one with no rot so you need to judge how rotten it might be at the next MOT time. There's nothing that can't be fixed but if there are a lot of bits it will add up to a lot of money at MOT time.

thank you - will print this off and take with me at second test! we had a crawl around and could find no rust spots and did check in the boot. whatever we have has to be a 7 seater so it kind of rules a lot of other 4x4's out.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 04:52:15 pm »
We've got three! i do like them BUT the boot rots out and the windows sometimes work, depends on the weather. They are notorious for door catches breaking and siezing up, saying that they've got good pulling power and are reasonably comfortable.
We had two freelanders before and i'm sure mine was inhabited by a ghost the radio used to switch itself on and off, the back window wiper would keep going even when the engine was switched off! and the window would go down whilst iwas driving her all by itself all in all a very odd truck. We got rid off because she failed the MOT on two pages worth of stuff!!!

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 04:54:18 pm »
we have one tho mine is old. it has never broken down but it does overheat which puts me off going far. its perfect for towing, really easy to park as you can see the bonnet etc, its great off road aswell. its better on fuel than my new car. id buy again just try and get a younger one unless you have someone who will fix it for you.
i love them.

Marsbar

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 06:08:00 pm »
We have a Disco2 and its been FAB,
 i would only swop it for a Defender,but can't afford one !
Richard
from Sheffield now in Chesterfield

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 06:22:53 pm »

thank you - will print this off and take with me at second test! we had a crawl around and could find no rust spots and did check in the boot. whatever we have has to be a 7 seater so it kind of rules a lot of other 4x4's out.
I've just re read my post and realised that I've come across very negatively. I've owned several 200 and 300 series discos and I have to say that apart from the tinworm eating them away they're fantastic vehicles. I've been all over the country in them with no problems, including towing some very heavy trailers. When things do go wrong it'll be easy to fix and parts are very easy to get and very cheap compared to most makes.They're comfortable. Possibly the most comfortable things I've driven over a long distance. They're not too expensive to run fuel wise, plus if you can get your hands on some chip oil they will run great on it. My current one has been truly abused over the last year or so and hasn't let me down once but it isn't going to get another MOT due to the stuff I mentioned earlier. But here's the best bit. I've owned six of them among other Landies over the years and without exception when they've finally run out of MOT and with no hope of passing another one, I've sold them for spares and got good money back for them. The ones I've broken myself I've made a profit on and the ones I've stuck on ebay for someone else to break I've never got less than 500 quid for. If you're careful what you pay and don't mind getting your hands dirty once in a while an old disco can be truly cheap motoring.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 06:33:29 pm »
Your first post was spot on hughsey..apart from trouble free gearboxes.. Our gearbox man does loads of them

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 06:50:33 pm »
Thanks Hughesy  :thumbsup:   I've got an MGF rotting on the driveway (we've just sold it for parts, yay!) so I'm cautious about rust prone vehicles now  :-\  AA wanted over £300 to inspect it for us which is a lot of money for a cheap car which we would expect to have bits go wrong now and then.   Your posts have both been really hlepful, thank you.

Carl...just wondering if automatic gearboxes are as bad as manual? this is auto and the last auto I had lost its power for the kickdown and was a 'mare to get fixed (it was a renault!!) wondering how this might compare.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 07:13:12 pm »
Sorry bad news..he does more autos than manuals :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS