Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I'm grieving  (Read 4208 times)

atallon

• Joined Aug 2009
I'm grieving
« on: August 04, 2009, 01:20:11 am »
I'm not even sure if it's appropriate to post on your site, but I hand reared a newborn lamb for seven months. We had just been to the vet for a checkup on July 22nd and he was in perfect condition. I am heartbroken that he got a leaf from a dried out red maple twig and died within a few days. I had never been around any livestock before and this was a new experience for me. The little lamb was raised like a dog and even slept on a blanket next to my bed. I guess what I am asking is if someone could reassure me that by the time he was showing signs of illness (diarrhea and blood in the urine) that it would have been too late for treatment. I called for the emergency vet but he was not able to come to my home until the next day. By then sadly, my lamb had given up and died in my husband's arms. I am simply heartbroken, and I feel terribly guilty about letting him play next to a toxic plant. This little lamb was my pride and joy, I even took him around to primary schools and seniors facilities. I just need to be reassured that once the toxin was in his system, and he was becoming physically ill, it wouldn't have mattered if the vet came to help us or not. Thanks everyone, I'm sorry to bring such a sad topic onto the message board.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: I'm grieving
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:02:47 am »
Hello, I am so sorry to read about your loss. I don't know if the vet could have helped but my point of writing is I would immediately change my vet. If they cannot attend an emergency I would join a practice that has more vets, an emergency is an emergency and if we dial 999 for an ambulance they can't get away with saying they will come tomorrow. I think this is very sad and you have received bloody awful service. I hope you are smiling again soon, we all know how awful it is to loose a loved pet. You know even if the vet had appeared yesterday and told you that nothing could have been done to help at least you would have known you did all you could, I am quite outraged that this happened to you. :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:34:39 am »
May I echo, James - that was the very first thing that came to my mind too.  I am so sorry that you have lost this special little fellow in such sad circumstances, but if your vet had attended immediately he would have known whether recovery was possible and either given the lamb some treatment or put him humanely to sleep.  Either way he wouldn't have suffered as he did.  This is downright incompetence.  Change your vet now!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 01:40:54 pm »
i agree any vet that knows an animal is bad enough for a home visit and delays coming is not one you want to do buissness with. we had to have a lamb killed this spring and the vet came within two hours. if it happens again and the vet will not come out call the rspca and ask for help. they will know of a vet who will look at the animal. you may have to travel but thats better than losing an animal that you invested so much time and love into.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 02:08:26 pm »
So sorry to hear your sad story, it must be very upsetting for you.
Forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick but I must ask, was this lamb kept on his own or do you have others? you say you reared him like a dog, but he was a sheep? sheep need sheep and to live like sheep, taking him round schools etc just isn't on without endless movement forms etc for the welfare of animals and people, sorry if I'm being insensitive, but have to ask???

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 03:34:41 pm »
Hi,
I'm sorry for your loss and if it helps there was nothing you could have done (other than a complete blood transfusion - which sometimes works) to save him. I agree with the others about changing vet - it's not acceptable.
But, I also want to echo Dixie's post. As a responsible animal keeper you have to put their welfare first and sheep, no matter how cute, are sheep and need to be out on grass, with other sheep. As a kid I had 'pet' lambs, but they NEVER slept in the house and as soon as they were weaned they went out to pasture with other sheep.
I'm also concerned that you knowingly let him be near poisonous plants (although, maybe you didn't know until it was too late ?) I don't want to sound harsh or insensitive because I think you have learned from this experience, we all have to start somewhere, it's very unfortunate that this was such a hard lesson to learn.
Karen

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 04:09:41 pm »
Hi, just wanted to say sorry to hear about your loss.  The death of any of our animals is distressing, thinking of u.
hfw.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 05:30:17 pm »
So sorry to hear about your poor lamb.  You obviously cared a lot for it.

As to the vet, well, I agree with the others.  I know I can ring my vet in an emergency, and he will be out within the hour without doubt.  If he is out on another call, he will ring my mobile and give me advice, ask for an update on the animals condition etc.  Your lamb was an emergency case, and your vet should have reacted accordingly.

I think you are upset, and feeling bad about the loss, so want to know if it could have been saved.  I think the honest answer is probably no.  But the vet would have put it to sleep for you, stopping any further pain and suffering for both the lamb, and also you.  It was obviously distressing for you.

I can understand you hand rearing the lamb, but having it in the house (although I have had them in a box by the rayburn as well as goat kids, in the kitchen) but once reared they go outside in the field.  I have  a pet sheep now, but he is out with the llama and goats, although he is still tame.

Your lamb would not understand what is poisonous and what is not, and it seems you were not aware that what he ate was indeed bad for him.  I do hope that before getting any lambs you read up on what they can and can't eat, and how they should be kept.  I am not sure if you are in the UK, but if you have been taking the lamb to schools etc, you should have been keeping a movement book updated each time he went away from your house.  And was he ear tagged, and did DEFRA know you had him ......what about a CPH - holding number?  All this is irrelevant now, but things to make sure you have in place for any future lambs.

Sorry if this sounds like a lecture, you will already be feeling bad about your loss, and I am truly sorry for that, but what I have said above, are required by law if you keep livestock.

Yvonne

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 04:22:33 pm »
 In reply to your question, was it too late to save your lamb by the time signs of poisoning showed. The answer is yes, it was too late. The toxins would have done irrepairable damage to his liver.
How do I know, because the same thing happened to me. I lost two 11 month old boys who were hand reared little pets. It broke my heart too. We had 3 lambs & after the twins died , Ronnie was left alone. We bought him an equine mirror which he took great comfort in & I set about finding some caid lambs to build a little flock for Ronnie .

We now have 4 ewe lambs, which we hand reared, ranging in age from 3 days to 10 days old. Now they are 7 months old & Ronnie is a very happy boy again. He adores his girls & is very gentle with them all.

I will always miss my twins as they were such loving pets, sitting on my lap for wonderful lamb kisses & cuddles.

Someone told me that sheep are always looking for new ways to die, & unless we follow them round for 24 hours a day we can't be sure what mischief they get into.

You must not blame yourself, it was an accident.
Try & take comfort in the fact that this little lamb had a wonderful life with you & although it wasn't a long life, it was an incredibly happy one.
Don't give up , try again, keeping sheep as pets is so rewarding. Good luck in the future. Yvonne:sheep:
Animals make the world a better place !

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 09:16:18 pm »
 ???

chickenfeed

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 07:40:19 am »
 :( sorry for your loss
i agree with the other re finding a vet that can do home visits as needed but over the year i know my parents have had one vet for the dogs and small animals and another for the livestack this is most important as not all vets know what they are doing with livestock especially those in towns and cities they do not see enough to have comlete knowledge that is so often needed, it is so often somthing like this that makes you realise your vet is just not quite good enough for your needs. but i must say i am also surprised with all the visits you took your lamb on the movement records must have taken up quite a bit of time i know it does for us when showing season comes. lessons are always taken from our mistakes especially with sheep they tend to be born wanting to die but always walk your paddock/grazing area to check for any potential hazards prior to moving any livestock to new pasture easy for me as i had this imprinted in me since birth.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS