Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New goats have arrived  (Read 5513 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
New goats have arrived
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:49:22 pm »
Wytsends two milkers, Alyce and Bramble made the long journey oop North and arrived this afternoon.  Not sure what they make of Derbyshire - for one thing it had just come a torrential downpour, and is a miserable day.  Also on board were two more goats from Wytsend - heading not too far from here!!  One of them was a sister to one of our kids. All gorgeous girls!!

My two unloaded and went in their shelter  no fuss.  Tucking into their haylage and leaves, and had a taste of Derbyshire spring water too!!! 

I am, sure Darren will be happy to have two more ladies around (and so will Bobby the small billy, given the chance!)

I know Wytsend was sad to see them go .....but I will look after them, and hopefully they will enjoy living in Derbyshire :)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: New goats have arrived
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:48:44 pm »
I know you will give them the best & I hope they will reciprocate all the love you give them.

Yes sad to see them go as Bramble was a particular favourite but can't keep them all.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 07:08:23 pm »
From Devon to Derby? That IS a long way! Any chance of some pictures? Im very nosey!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:33:26 pm »
So exciting  ;D We will definitely require pics  ;)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:49:23 pm »
what about DEvon to Scotland?????

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:53:26 pm »
welcome to Derbyshire Alyce and Bramble! :wave:
lucky Darren....  :D
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:39:02 pm »
We are actually 40 miles further North than Derby, so four and a half hours travelling - more when held up on the M6.  They have gone to bed now, tiring journey.  Lily the kid, marched up, and inspected their long ears - and they were very good about the close inspection.  Then the cheeky little monkey stood on her back legs and went to butt them, and her a pint sized kid ;D

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 05:50:40 am »
Egglady,  Devon to Scotland is no problem when they are transported by Gordon George.... needs to worked out well in advance as he likes to to do 2 or 3 drops in a journey.  Makes it more cost effective for him & his clients.

Let me know if you want anything I do have some kids still available..... female & male.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 10:49:53 am »
Wytsend recommended Gordon to me.  He transported the two female kids and Darren, and now the two girls.  He is a goat breeder himself, so they are in safe hands. His van is kitted out well, to carry the goats in safety and comfort.  They have all arrived stress free - all lay down, and would happily have travelled on to Scotland if need be. ;D

I would not hesitate to use Gordon in the future, or recommend him to other people needing goats moving.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 07:38:27 pm »
would the cost of transporting not be astronomical?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 11:57:17 pm »
Obviously, the charge will increase the further away you are......we totted up how much fuel we would use, and also the fact that we would be driving a long way all in one day.  The goat transporters charges in my opinion are very reasonable, and we would pay nearly that in fuel.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 05:57:25 am »
Gordon travels all over UK but his plan of action is nearly always to combine several calls in one journey.  That way everybody gets a reduced transport bill.... usually about two thirds of what it would have been.

Doing this allows goat keepers to get fresh bloodlines into their herds from known breeders of good stock.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 12:45:31 pm »
would the cost of transporting not be astronomical?

From the goat's point of view so to speak - probably best to transport with animal transport.

But if you are looking for a housegoat, then you have quite a few good breeders wihtin driving distance from you. Most of us would consider delivering, or doing the half-way meeting and swap goats. Goats are so much easier to load then say sheep or pigs.

It is only when you have set your heart on a particular boy for the girls or a special female then you would consider longer journeys... I had it all planned out to take my two GG girls to SW Wales for service - with boarding obviously, so that would have been two journeys of quite a few hundred miles... in the end it didn't happen and we went down the road to Biggar... But I think nothing of taking mine for a 2.5 hour journey to The Guilden herd to see the boy... (have you spoken to them if they have a nice female for sale?)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 10:02:32 pm »
all makes sense now - thanks.  couldnt understand why people would get their goats from soooo far away  :dunce:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 03:56:30 pm »
Lol- its not necessary to get them from so far away. That said Anglo-Nubian's have become quite high in demand over the last few years, and you do sometimes need to travel a bit further to get them. But there are plenty of local breeders to you who have goats. If you are set on AN's I do know some people who have some for sale in the central belt (I don't have any AN's left spare at the moment- just a couple of straight eared ones!)

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS