Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eating sheep poo and dead mice  (Read 14839 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Eating sheep poo and dead mice
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 03:13:37 pm »
Thanks Sally  :)

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 03:23:31 pm »
The most discusting  thing ours have eaten is  !!! sorry about this...human poo...that is much more horrid than anything...it was funny as not long ago we did our walk in Devilla and there was a large camper van parked in the lay buy next to the forest, the next night our dogs walked to heel to the car, then, suddenly all ran off in a flash to the hedge and came out when called smelling horrid, the smell stays around for a while and their poo smells like it the next day, that also happened when I HAD to go on a walk, I ate something and was cramped up so went behind a tree only to see one of our dogs go back for it!!! ::) I usually can see if there is any other stuff around and they will not eat if I tell them NO but like Annie said, sometimes you are a bit far away.  When I last had a cat and a litter tray, crunchy poo nuggets were a treat for our dog!!!  :innocent:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 04:09:14 pm »
Oh Sandy, you are fab!! that's made me  :roflanim:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 04:33:59 pm »
I remember a Lab I had years ago appearing out a hedge with a lump, she was so proud of it as well!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 05:48:37 pm »
Horse poo is particularly delicious if it a bit frozen.... kind of doggie heaven 

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 05:52:17 pm »
I notice some they do not even look at, others make thier mouth water but I tell ours not to eat it...just in case

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 08:31:18 pm »
Plums, our pup has discovered the delights of chicken poo. We've got a lot of chickens ..... won't have to feed her soon.

Rolling in fox poo was a favourite occupation of some of our retrievers ...... yuk, really stinks. Could never work out how it helped in disguising their scent ..... rolling in the poo of another carnivore  ???

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 10:52:41 pm »
Ours love horse and goat and sheep, they follow the goats and horses around waiting for them to drop  ::)
then they wait till we are mucking the horses out and as soon as you turn your back on them they grab a nice hot steamy mouth full  :o
Graham

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 08:27:04 am »
 ;D  greatly reassured by this thread. Was starting to wonder if I needed to walk murphy anywhere but our own land, glad that we don't have to drive to a park to walk the dog now  ;)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 12:02:07 pm »
IMO it's good for them to walk different places ...... once vaccinated.  They like a change and you get to train in different places ...... they can be very obedient on your own land/familiar surroundings but very different when somewhere else.  :o ::)  Good to get them used to different sounds and sights too.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 12:33:18 pm »
George eats his own poo.

He used to be a stray and it's really common for them to do this, I believe it's also something to do with a potassium deficiency, so we started feeding him bananas as well, he still eats his own poo, he is hairier though, and climbs trees much of the time.

My border collies love sheep poo and voles/mice etc, echo what was said about them being scavengers, just keep them wormed, as for rolling in smelly stuff, Morris rolled in a rancid milk carton someone had left on the field on Saturday, now that really turned my stomach.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 12:44:07 pm »
Yuuukkkk ..... forgot about that one. We had Flattie pups that went through a phase of eating their own poo.

Next doors lab eats the mice/rabbits that the cat catches ...... greedy things though labs.

Are collies generally greedy then? Meg pushes my Flattie off his food and is on the look out for cat bowls to lick already.  ::)  Flatties tend to be fussier eaters and really slow.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 12:46:09 pm »
One of my OH's guide dogs loved cow pats, the runnier the better, and would lap them up.  Nothing could stop her other than hauling her out.  She also loved horse poo. 

The next dog he had was copraphagic (ate his own poo and that of other dogs)  You can get something from the vet to put in their food to make their own unpalatable but it's no good if they eat other dog poo.  He taught my dog to eat poo as well.  I saw him stand over her as she reluctantly picked some up.  Now we don't have him, she is less inclined to eat it but does occasionally brings lumps in.  I find them in her bed. 

The retired guide dog  we have still living with us, scavanges for anything and will not let go.  He can lock his jaw so you can't force it apart to extract whatever he is eating.  He also clears up his own vomit as well as that of the other dogs.

The current GD, as soon as he is let outside, rushes to stick his head under the goat yard gate to eat what he can get hold of in the way of goat poo.  He also clears up if they poo on the patio at any time.

All the dogs will eat goat hoof trimmings if they get to them before I can sweep up.

I've only had one collie and she was a very picky eater.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 01:12:07 pm »
IMO it's good for them to walk different places ...... once vaccinated.  They like a change and you get to train in different places ...... they can be very obedient on your own land/familiar surroundings but very different when somewhere else.  :o ::)  Good to get them used to different sounds and sights too.

Agree totally! we have lots of walks elsewhere but was worrying we couldn't use the field on our own land (when its raining and I feel lazy  ;D  ) if the poo eating was a problem. Murph comes to school for drop off and pick up so he can meet lots of other people and dogs and I take him into town too sometimes.

He has moved up a level today - eating dirty childrens underwear!!!  :o   now to train him to bring it downstairs an dput it in the machine....

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 01:26:30 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

I get what you mean now. No, poo eating and rolling is a bit of a pastime for some I'm afraid. :dog: :yum: ;D

Thought of another lovely thing that one of our retrievers liked to roll on ...... decaying fish left on the bank by anglers. Talk about stink.  ::)  If they were in a bit better condition she would deliver them to hand and of course you had to take them with a well done, clever girl.  ::) ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS