Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Opening Sacks!?!  (Read 9332 times)

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Opening Sacks!?!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 11:41:17 am »
I'm with juliag - I KNOW they unzip but generally have to fiddle with both ends before I achieve it!!  Fine when its warm and sunny (usually am doing this outside) but in the winter with cold hands I've frequently lost my rag with it and stuck any passably sharp object into the bag and ripped it.  Will be buying a decent knife before next winter, though, screwdrivers just don't cut it in the tearing department!

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 07:33:01 am »
lol xanbacon I have tried the scredrivers method as well and it doesnt quite have the desired effect does it, I have also tried hoof picks, long nails, my teeth and supprisingly enough I am afraid I cannot reccomend any of the above! plastic in between your teeth is not a good look!
juliag

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 08:24:22 pm »
here's new wording, maybe will help better...If you closely examine the gunnysack, you'll notice that the stitches on one side of the receptacle are "flat", while the seam on the opposite edge of the cloth container has a knotty appearance. You'll want to face the fodder sack so that the flat stitches are on the right-hand  side as you look at the edge of the bag. Once the feed sack is so situated, find the first flat stitch in the right-hand corner. (This string "unzips" the opening.) Cut this tie off at the corner and lift out the first few loops, using a knife or a fingernail.

Next, to open the bag, grasp the just-sliced lace in one hand and hold the opposite string on the knotty side of the sack in the other hand . . . then gently pull on both strands. If you're doing this step correctly, the seam should easily unravel.

This simple trick will help you to feed your livestock in record time, and will leave you with an intact — and thus useful — feedbag as well!
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 03:18:31 pm »
here's new wording, maybe will help better...If you closely examine the gunnysack, you'll notice that the stitches on one side of the receptacle are "flat", while the seam on the opposite edge of the cloth container has a knotty appearance. You'll want to face the fodder sack so that the flat stitches are on the right-hand  side as you look at the edge of the bag. Once the feed sack is so situated, find the first flat stitch in the right-hand corner. (This string "unzips" the opening.) Cut this tie off at the corner and lift out the first few loops, using a knife or a fingernail.

Ah well thats what the problem was, I had me stitches on me gunnysack the wrong way round. What can you do if your receptacle is wrong in the first place!
juliag

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 11:52:37 am »
Thanks cameldairy, that is definitely a useful tip. I've used car keys before when I'm in a hurry, and ended up ripping and kicking the feedbag, and of course spilling it everywhere (I have a terrible temper!)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 10:40:19 pm »
 ;D ;D I aslways end up attacking the chicken feed sacks with  a big pair of scissors ... so am grateful for these posts about how it SHOULD be done! :farmer:

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 02:47:39 pm »
wear gloves and pull hard, away and up!!! I usually find that if I growl whilst doing it usually helps.   Ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr.

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 03:57:46 pm »
Well done Womble for posting on this.   I

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS